mulesing What do you think?

Quote:
Why would they go through four times as much pain?? Makes no sense,... and i dont believe you.
Pay attention to your herd and you wont have such a parasite problem that you have to torture a LIVING/FEELING animal.......
Lets think.... how DOES it feel to have your ass SKIN shaved off?? NIce??
Or are sheep supposed to NOT feel pain? Just cause they are gentle KIND sheep.....
Interesting,.... how kind people will let an animal suffer and simply not care... A sheeps PAIN dont matter...
oh well...
Again.. go get your butt SKIN shaved off and then come talk to me.. tell me how GOOD it feels.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Why would they go through four times as much pain?? Makes no sense,... and i dont believe you.
Pay attention to your herd and you wont have such a parasite problem that you have to torture a LIVING/FEELING animal.......
Lets think.... how DOES it feel to have your SKIN shaved off?? Nice??
Or are sheep supposed to NOT feel pain? Just cause they are gentle KIND sheep.....
Interesting,.... how kind people will let an animal suffer and simply not care... A sheeps PAIN doesnt matter??...
oh well...
Again.. go get your butt SKIN shaved off and then come talk to me.. tell me how GOOD it feels.

From a sheepherder's point of view, it would be pretty hard to be watching out for wolves, all day, when you are busy clipping wool off a sheep's butt....I believe it's an attitude of One and done.

Quote:
Lets think.... how DOES it feel to have your ass SKIN shaved off?? NIce??
Interesting,.... how kind people will let an animal suffer and simply not care... A sheeps PAIN dont matter...
oh well...

thumbsup.gif

I don't like it, but for huge herds it's not practical to watch ever sheep hind end. In places where lamb and mutton is a major food source like beef is here, mulesing is as common there as poling is here.

Quote:
Lets think.... how DOES it feel to have your SKIN shaved off?? Nice??
Interesting,.... how kind people will let an animal suffer and simply not care... A sheeps PAIN doesnt matter??...
oh well...

From a sheepherder's point of view, it would be pretty hard to be watching out for wolves, all day, when you are busy clipping wool off a sheep's butt....I believe it's an attitude of One and done.

We have 10 thousand sheep and we breed them for ginetics. we sell the rams to client to breed with thier own flock. if a average sheep is worth 250 + then you would want to do all you can to keep them healthy and free of parasites and problems.

parasites and problems include mulesing. when a bly or blow fly lays its larvae on a wet moist sheeps skin/wool the larvea turns into a maggot that will painfully burrow into the skin and eat the flesh untill it takes over at least half the skin of the sheep and kill it.
so with mulesing it makes the life of sheep famers and the sheep it self a lot easier.

that awnsers the first question.

the cost of treating this problem is not cheap. with the main effective product costing $900 per 30 litres but it lasts for around 10 weeks depending on rain.

we often have to bring sheep in once a week to check and to treat the fly blown sheep which involves taking them to the shearing shed and shearing off the affected areas wool and treating the wound before releasing it back to the mob. if we didnt do this we wouldnt have as many sheep as they would either die of being fly blown with out treatment or preditation whilst being fly blown.
we also live near a busy road and with dead sheep every where than that would not make us look good and maybe the authorities amy come in

so is it worth it. the three to two hours of i must admit pain. or a whole life of pain.

i would and would willingly get my but shaven if it menat life and death. wouldnt you?

or would you prefer to live a short life of pain when it could be easily avoided.

and we do care whilst we have them we vaccinated them for diseases and give them antiiotics for the open wound. if we didnt care . whats the point of having sheep? why have sheep and not care when a lot of care, work and husbandary is reqired. if you dont care sell the sheep and get another job

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I don't like it, but for huge herds it's not practical to watch ever sheep hind end. In places where lamb and mutton is a major food source like beef is here, mulesing is as common there as poling is here.

correction i mean wool sheep not mutton and lamb. Meat sheep do not have fly strike as often because they are often hair sheep with less wool and are less likely to have the wet matted conditions on their hind ends suitable for maggots to breed.

It is a fact of life. Mulsing saves the sheep pain and torture, saves the shepherd time so both can get on to better things. It is healthier for the sheep. After all, we cut the testicles off of various male animals for various reasons and nobody cries "cruel" over that. If you don't want to know where and how your food comes from, then go buy your sterile foam and plastic wrapped fraken-food at the store.

I can already feel myself getting beat up on my point of view!!

with the above high rainfall and flooding we are getting more flies breeding on dead drowned animals and infecting the flock. due to the high rainfall we are alos treating sheep on the head, shoulders and hind rump which is a very rare thing to get.

Back
Top Bottom