Multiple chicks with weak legs, others fine

I have read not to use cedar
Shavings because the out off harmful fumes. Maybe try pine Shavings?
I hadn't heard of that, and even looked it up and couldn't find anything about that. We did read that pine can sometimes cause problems, so we were trying to get away from that. We'd have used straw, but our local places always run out and take forever to get it back in.

How did you find out? I was afraid to give them A b/c they can od on it :/

Commercial chick feed has a guaranteed analysis of MINIMUM 3300 IU vitamin A per lb. If you assume your feed has a reduced level, or even zero, I think you can safely supplement at that level.

Last edited:
You can safely supplement your chicks at 2-4 times the daily required amount for 2 weeks if they are deficient. There's a lot of wiggle room in those numbers.

Good to know! I'm not sure I have any A here, but I will check and add that to the regime until they are 100% or 2 weeks, whichever comes first.

Another update: Chicks have all survived and are doing well! The last one to get it(and smallest) still tires more easily and walks a little stiffly still, but it's a huge improvement to before the vitamin supplements! Thanks for the help :D

Back
Top Bottom