Multiple Hens (Listed) X Dominique Rooster are chicks sex link ?

Jennell

Chirping
Jan 16, 2023
I have a few questions, I know they chicks are “mutts” but I’m curious if anyone has breed the following and kinda what they got color wise .. I’m assuming the few pictured are male from the sex linking the black males have the white dots and barred wings & the other is yellow with barred wings and the eye stripes , but I’m not sure if my chicks would classify for sex link.
-Hens
Rhode Island reds (2)
Cinnamon Queen (1)
Barred rock (1)
-Rooster
Dominique.
& then I had two chicks recently hatch from white leg horn hens & a speckled sussex rooster. They’re not pictured.

The 4 pictured I’m assuming are the males the female chicks I have 2 are solid black with red barring in the wings & the other 2 are a buff color with the cinnamon queen eye stripes and back pattern & barred wings.

Attachments

• F1FF5B22-591A-41F3-9568-62D7697391CE.jpeg
    F1FF5B22-591A-41F3-9568-62D7697391CE.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 39
  • D5740F8C-0C01-4434-BEBD-D2C269603490.jpeg
    D5740F8C-0C01-4434-BEBD-D2C269603490.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 14
  • BD64E1C6-21DC-4A98-8200-DBE81DDF352F.jpeg
    BD64E1C6-21DC-4A98-8200-DBE81DDF352F.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 16
The chicks wouldn't be sex linked.
The headspot and barring doesn't mean male

I’m assuming the few pictured are male from the sex linking
-Rooster
Dominique.

A rooster with white barring does not produce sex-linked chicks. He can give barred sons and also barred daughters.

To get chicks where barring indicates the sex, you need a barred mother and a not-barred father. Then the sons will show barring like their mother, and the daughters will be not-barred like their father.

For gold/silver sexlinks, you need a silver mother and a gold father to get silver sons and gold daughters. Dominiques are probably silver, which is wrong for the father breed. (Silver or gold is not visible under the black with white barring, but many barred breeds are genetically silver not gold.)

Half are silver Laced, half are brown Laced.
If we are going according to males getting dominant genes then the silver Laced will be males like the rooster.

However typically sex links have the brown rooster and have brown pullets.

Similar question
Silver Laced Wyandotte Rooster its Buckeye Hens.
Half are silver Laced, half are brown Laced.
If we are going according to males getting dominant genes then the silver Laced will be males like the rooster.

However typically sex links have the brown rooster and have brown pullets.

If the rooster is a Silver Laced Wyandotte, I would expect all chicks to show silver.

If you are getting some brown chicks, then either they have a different father, or that rooster is not pure for the silver gene.

A silver rooster does not produce sexlink chicks. For gold/silver sexlinks, the father must be gold and so are his daughters. The mother must be silver, and the sons show silver while also carrying gold. (In this context, "gold" can actually be brown, red, gold, or cream.)

Sexlinks only work when the mother has the dominant gene (silver) and gives it to her sons, and the father has the recessive gene (gold) which he gives it to the sons and the daughters: daughters show the recessive, sons have it hidden by the dominant gene from their mother. It works because the genes in question are on the Z sex chromosome. Male birds have ZZ, females have ZW. A hen gets Z from her father and W from her mother, and gives Z to her sons but W to her daughters.

Back
Top Bottom