Multiple Males in the same pen?

dainironfoot

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
woodburn, Oregon
Hi guys! this is my first post and I don't have any pheasants yet. I love the color on the Goldens, Reeves, and Amhersts but am not interested in breeding them. If I wanted to keep males from these three species together without hens would this be crazy? Would they fight? What size pen would you suggest? Thanx, I really appreciate the expertise you guys have,

-Tony

You will most definately put the Reeves separate during breeding season. The goldens and the Amherst will cross breed...And sometimes males can be harsh on one another during breeding season. (if you have any hens with them) .After breeding season yes all Except the reeves can be put back together. That is what we do every year ...

If there are no hens around you can house all males together with no problems,but keep an eye on reeves and silvers they can get nasty.
In N.H.,Tony.

Tony,

I always keep all my extra males I don't have mates for in what I call a Bachelor pen.I curently have that pen with 6 Red Golden,4 Yellow Golden,a Silver and Darkthroat Golden,2 Amherst,2 Swinehoe,4 Ringneck colors and a Silver males.All get along pretty good once in a while you'll get a small fight but in 11 years have not lost much more than feathers in that pen.I'm sure it would depend on how big your pen is also.This pen is 25 by 38.

Hope that helps Patrick

Back
Top Bottom