Multiple Punctre Wounds from Neighbor's Dog... Please Give Suggestions

Water and salt. Put enough salt in so it dissolves. You can buy saline but it's easy enough to make! I put an electric fence up around my chickens and my chicken killerdog was kind enough to test it for me lol she says it works great

I agree no more peroxide. Once is enough. Punctures can be problematic because they can harbor infection. If you have a vet willing to work with you you may want to ask for antibiotics. Most vets don’t see chickens.
Separated from the others to prevent more injury is good as long as she’s not upset being away from them.
Pictures of her wounds can be helpful for us to help you and to keep track of how they are progressing.

This is a thread I created following what I did to treat a wound on a hen. She’s happy, healthy and sassy as ever.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/yikes-large-wound-on-hen.1141144/#post-17736677

You can buy saline at most pharmacies. If you want to make your own you can add 1 tsp of table salt to quart of water, bring it to a boil, and reduce to simmer for 15 mintutes covered to sterilize it. Store it in a quart canning jar.

Vetericyn wound spray from feed stores is a very good thing to use. Plain triple antibiotic, neosporin, or polysporin are all good for deep or puncture wounds and used twice a day. Peroxide won’t kill her used once, but they have found it may prevent wound healing.

Antibiotics may not be needed if wounds are treated daily. In fact most are not approved for poultry in the US presently. In the future, Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) with water is a good disinfectant wound wash for cleaning initially. It is used in hospitals and for surgery. Be aware that green skin may be a sign of bruising. Trimming away feathers that get into the wound may be helpful.

I had hen who had similar injuries, and she could barely stand on day two. She made a full recovery and resumed laying a few months later, although her eggs were thin shelled from then on.

I would treat her every day, and think about letting her spend some time in a dog crate with food and water in the coop once or twice a day if possible. Her deep cut should fill in nicely without stitching. There are plenty of threads of wound healing if you use the search forums above. Good luck.

Puncture wounds must be flushed out really well I dogs mouth is not as clean as people think when my dog was bitten by an other dog the vet flushed it with an antibiotic solution if you can take her to a vet that might be best. I hope she recovers :fl

You can buy saline at most pharmacies. If you want to make your own you can add 1 tsp of table salt to quart of water, bring it to a boil, and reduce to simmer for 15 mintutes covered to sterilize it. Store it in a quart canning jar.

Vetericyn wound spray from feed stores is a very good thing to use. Plain triple antibiotic, neosporin, or polysporin are all good for deep or puncture wounds and used twice a day. Peroxide won’t kill her used once, but they have found it may prevent wound healing.

Antibiotics may not be needed if wounds are treated daily. In fact most are not approved for poultry in the US presently. In the future, Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) with water is a good disinfectant wound wash for cleaning initially. It is used in hospitals and for surgery. Be aware that green skin may be a sign of bruising. Trimming away feathers that get into the wound may be helpful.

I had hen who had similar injuries, and she could barely stand on day two. She made a full recovery and resumed laying a few months later, although her eggs were thin shelled from then on.

I would treat her every day, and think about letting her spend some time in a dog crate with food and water in the coop once or twice a day if possible. Her deep cut should fill in nicely without stitching. There are plenty of threads of wound healing if you use the search forums above. Good luck.

Thank you, this is great information. I will probably need to cut some more of her feathers back to really get into the wounds to flush them out with saline, would scissors work best for that? (is that a silly question?)

Yes scissors would be fine.
upload_2018-4-23_12-41-48.jpeg

I agree no more peroxide. Once is enough. Punctures can be problematic because they can harbor infection. If you have a vet willing to work with you you may want to ask for antibiotics. Most vets don’t see chickens.
Separated from the others to prevent more injury is good as long as she’s not upset being away from them.
Pictures of her wounds can be helpful for us to help you and to keep track of how they are progressing.

This is a thread I created following what I did to treat a wound on a hen. She’s happy, healthy and sassy as ever.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/yikes-large-wound-on-hen.1141144/#post-17736677
These are the wounds on her backside.
20180423_131838.jpg

Use the Vetricyn or the saline. Saline is good if you need to clean the wound at any time, but Vetericyn is good to disinfect the wound as well. My injured hen looked very similar, but grew back all of her feathers.

Back
Top Bottom