Murray McMurray Dorkings

LRH97

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Southern Illinois
This is my second year ordering Dorkings from McMurray, and I must say I am not impressed. I thought that I just had bad luck last year (lost all six) but I ordered four this year, and three of the four have died. I've noticed that they are very small upon arrival, usually quite weak. I always expect some DOA and some to die later, but it's always the Dorkings that I nearly lose all that I ordered. Don't get me wrong, they're a good hatchery with very kind staff and I will continue ordering from them. (Just maybe not Dorkings) They refunded all of the lost birds with no problems. Just wondering has anyone else experienced this or had good luck with other places?

I'm so sorry for your loss! How heart-breaking! I've seen other postings in the past few days about boxes of DOA chicks from McMurray. It sounds like they may be shipping chicks priority (3-day) rather than express (overnight) mail, causing fatal delays in arrive time (literally). Furthermore, a few posters have reported McMurray shipping on Friday/Saturday, which also has the potential to delay delivery due to Sunday hold-overs.

I hope you're able to find a hatchery that you're happy with. I've had good luck with Meyer Hatchery in Ohio and have even been able to order small batches of chicks from them (3 to 5 chicks), but I usually have orders delivered between April and June as it's safer.

UPDATE: Just lost my last chick last night. Was doing fine during the day. Quite frustrating.
barnie.gif
May consider another hatchery for next year....

I'm so sorry for your loss! How heart-breaking! I've seen other postings in the past few days about boxes of DOA chicks from McMurray. It sounds like they may be shipping chicks priority (3-day) rather than express (overnight) mail, causing fatal delays in arrive time (literally). Furthermore, a few posters have reported McMurray shipping on Friday/Saturday, which also has the potential to delay delivery due to Sunday hold-overs.

I hope you're able to find a hatchery that you're happy with. I've had good luck with Meyer Hatchery in Ohio and have even been able to order small batches of chicks from them (3 to 5 chicks), but I usually have orders delivered between April and June as it's safer.
I just don't know what's up with them. The first couple of years were great and I couldn't have been happier. The last two, well, have sucked! I'm really looking at Meyer and possibly Ideal. My dad gets pretty picky about hatcheries, but he's definitely looking at other options at this point.

Back
Top Bottom