Murray McMurray Hatchery reviews?

ClaudiaKat

Hatching
Mar 9, 2016
North Carolina
So I recently bought two pekin ducklings from Tractor Supply along with some pullets since I'm doing a pretty big expansion into my chicken coop! I have been told by many chicken and duck owners that the two can coexist without issues, but tonight I read a post where drakes were raping and killing hens? By the time my ducklings go outside I will have a total of 16 chickens (15 hens 1 rooster). Should I be concerned?
Will have 3-4 female ducks with one drake make it safe for my chickens? If so I will more than likely order female ducklings which is why I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with the McMurray Hatchery?

I think that amount of female ducks should be enough for the drake. Are you sure they are females? I would like to think the rooster will protect his hens.

I think that amount of  female ducks should be enough for the drake.  Are you sure they are females?  I   would like to think the rooster will protect his hens.

I am unsure of the genders of my current Pekins, I (attempted) to check tonight and both looked female but I'm gonna do another check tomorrow. I'll also listen to quack sounds in a few weeks. I hope one is female at the least, would love to have more of a variety like the original plan.

I have four KC Ducks, 3 female and1 male and they seem really happy. I also have a large number of chickens, roosters included, and they pretty much ignore each other for the most part. Sometimes the Drake will chase the roosters away when they mount a hen though (Duck chases chicken away from chicken)

I normally have a positive experience with Murray Mcmurray but have never ordered ducks from them (can't be shipped to my state)

I ordered cayuga hatching eggs once and 2/3rds arrived broken or 'scrambled' inside but they were packed very well so I can't imagine how they got that bad unless the ride was very rough.

Never had a problem with ordering chicks from MMM till this year. I ordered early because I wanted some very specific chicks and they were going fast. They finally ship and I wait...and wait...and wait...four very cold days later I get a call that they've arrived but there is no noise in the box. As you can imagine there were no survivors. It was really heartbreaking. The hatchery replaced the order but you still feel terrible about the little ones that didn't make it.
:(

I've made 2 different orders from Murray McMurray...so far, with a 3rd pending. My first order, I ordered 3 pullets (Black Australorp, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red) in early December and they arrived at the PO with no problems. Once I got them home, it said on the outside of the box they were 15-19 week old pullets. They are beautiful birds and they are giving me 3 eggs per day, every day now. About a month ago, I wanted to add a Buff Orpington to my flock and ordered thru MM. I got the call from the PO to come pick her up and got her home to see the outside of the box on this little girl said 10-12 weeks....not nearly old enough to be added safely. So, I had to keep the new girl in their pen, in a smaller cage for 1 month until she could fend for herself. Overall, I would say the birds are very high quality. If you have any questions, give them a call, they're happy to talk to you. My next order is for an Ameraucana and Welsummer on 6/20....can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom