Muscovies and possible neurotoxins

renay

Songster
9 Years
Jul 27, 2014
This female Muscovy is 10 months old. She loves staying in the creek overnight.

The past 3 days had turned cold. She has slept in the coop with the other ducks and chickens. Yesterday warmed up but she did not go to the creek and spent the day sleeping near the coop. She drank some water but I didn't see her eat anything.

This morning she can't stand up and has not come out of the coop yet.

I am very rural and do not have access to a vet.

The weather has warmed up here so that the ice has melted off the fast moving creek and all the birds are free-ranging. They have access to layer, scratch, calcium and fresh water.

Last year I lost many ducks (no chickens) to what I thought was botulism from something in the creek. Ducks presented as quiet and not eating, then uncoordinated and unwilling to move, leading to flaccid neck, tremors, then death. Ducklings typically died within hours of symptoms and mature female ducks could hold out for days. Adult drakes were not affected.

Activated charcoal may have worked in 1 case...or maybe it was a coincidence.

Necropsies showed no abnormalities, but I am not very experienced.

Any suggestions? I am all out of ideas and I can't bear the thought of a repeat of last year.

Attachments

• VID_20240326_080433075_exported_0.jpg
    VID_20240326_080433075_exported_0.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 35
  • VID_20240326_080433075_exported_4695.jpg
    VID_20240326_080433075_exported_4695.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Their diet seems lacking in protein and balanced vitamins. There could be a vitamin deficiency. Do you supplement niacin and other b vitamins with b complex or nutritional yeast. It does sound like Botulism could have been a possibly last year, but I believe it is hard to test for on a necropsy. Symptoms are usually the best way to diagnose. Is there any way to keep the ducks out of this creek, and provide a pool for them?

Thank you for your response.

The ducks typically free range so much that they barely touch the feed I offer except for in the winter months. I do supplement with niacin when the ducklings hatch out, but that is just in may June July.

I will offer this one supplements as I have her separated now.

I do provide pools for them.

There is no way to free range them without access to the creek. The creek is large and runs the length of my property.

Last year was not the first year I lost ducks with those symptoms but it was by far the worst year.

The symptoms present as botulism but the environmental conditions don't fit. The creek is fast flowing. The deaths occur in May and June not in our hottest months of July and August. Only female ducks and ducklings show symptoms and die. And the chickens and dogs all drink from the creek with no adverse affects.

Another one now has the same symptoms of quietness and reluctant to move. I've isolated her.

The first one has refused food and water. She is now open mouthed breathing.

Based on my experience with this I feel like the only thing to do now is to put her down.

I wish I knew what I am dealing with.

Attachments

• IMG_20240326_155048130.jpg
    IMG_20240326_155048130.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 2
If it is only happening around snow melt of heavy rains then perhaps chemicals are entering your creek by run off. But I would consider perhaps cyano as a possibility.

Could there be exposure to mold in the feed? That can sometimes cause neurological symptoms and death. Are you located anywhere near a poultry department at a vet school where you could ask some questions?

If it is only happening around snow melt of heavy rains then perhaps chemicals are entering your creek by run off. But I would consider perhaps cyano as a possibility.

Thank you. The thought of chemicals is terrifying and seems likely as the water is usually high and fast flowing when this occurs. But why don't the drakes or chickens ever get ill?

Could there be exposure to mold in the feed? That can sometimes cause neurological symptoms and death. Are you located anywhere near a poultry department at a vet school where you could ask some questions?
If it were the feed I would think I would have more problems in the winter than in the spring.

I called the poultry dept at the nearest vet school and they were not helpful. They did say I could bring them a duck for necropsy and it would cost a couple hundred dollars. I would have to deliver the duck to them and it is nearly a 3 hour drive.
I was not able to get away for that long this week.

Both these ducks passed. Luckily no one else is showing any signs of illness. When it happens again I will try to arrange a trip to get the necropsy done.

Back
Top Bottom