Muscovy dragging itself with wings/hunched - sick or injured?

EldritchAcres

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 12, 2018
Hello!
I have a two year old muscovy drake that I noticed walking with one wing dragging yesterday. When I went to catch him he started hustling away but started using his wings to pull himself along the ground.
I check his body for injuries, he had two cracked toenails on the middle toe on each foot. Some times he tries to wiggle between the goats and see if their hay has hidden snacks so I thought maybe he got stepped on.
He's less mobile today after cleaning the wounds and stopping the bleeding.
He's also very hunched up. He is free range all the time, with access to both clean water and a pond as well as sunflower seed snacks once a week, frequent veggie snacks and I've had pumpkins out for the birds the past two weeks. I don't feel an impacted crop.

Could the two smashed toenails be causing him to be hunched up and while not listless - kind of complacent? He's in an isolation pen indoors right now with water + electrolytes and food. I haven't checked poop yet, and waiting to see if he's drinking. He is eating normally.

Thanks!

It sounds to me like he got injured, poor boy. With the toenail issues, perhaps he had a fight rather than been stepped on. Not necessarily a fight with a being (although he might have fought a cat or rat.) Could he have got caught somewhere and struggled to free himself (Had a fight with a fence)?

Sounds like he got stepped on. I'd say that hurts. No idea if that is his trouble but sure might be.

What feed are you using?
I'm using Mazuri Waterfowl. I gave him some nutridrench and water with electrolytes so hopefully it's just his feet hurting and nothing else

It sounds to me like he got injured, poor boy. With the toenail issues, perhaps he had a fight rather than been stepped on. Not necessarily a fight with a being (although he might have fought a cat or rat.) Could he have got caught somewhere and struggled to free himself (Had a fight with a fence)?
We have some woven wire fence that the muscovies fly over to get to the pond, I don't think he could have gotten caught anywhere.

Maybe he did get in a fight, I thought it was weird that it was both middle toenails but they do like to get under the goats all the time. Fingers crossed it's just some pain :(
They're such hardy birds which is what concerns me, seeing him like this.

Thanks!

Some warm water Epsom salt soaks would probably help with healing. Just make sure he doesn't drink the water. I use a bucket and put their feet down into it and hold onto them while they are soaking.

So very sorry for your loss. :hugs

Maybe he was trampled by the goats getting underfoot? I use to have goats and they can get rowdy and the drake may have just gotten under them.

So very sorry for your loss. :hugs

Maybe he was trampled by the goats getting underfoot? I use to have goats and they can get rowdy and the drake may have just gotten under them.
I just lost another one, same symptoms..just a tiny bit of bloodied feet and otherwise no external injuries.

Back
Top Bottom