DeeJay

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 24, 2015
Hello!

I'm seeking some advice regarding Muscovy Drakes. I have two Drakes - one is the progenitor of the other. The eldest Drake is around 4 years old, the youngest around 5 months. In the last 3 or 4 weeks, I have noticed the elder Drake staying lower to the ground, being more separate from most of the group for most of the time, not taking part in group activities or attempting to mate (at all). The younger drake has not exhibited any overt aggression but is engaging in all these behaviours. If he walks near the older drake, the older will walk away from him.

My question is does this indicate more than stamping "Alpha" status? e.g. my older drake being only vocal around me, and choosing to separate from the group when there is activity besides food time (where he will chase away any other ducks) - could it indicate he is depressed?

I do love both my boys, and they should have enough girls each (3 each), but the eldest and the original girls, whilst hanging out, do not appear to mate.

I have witnessed them all sleeping together on occassion, with the boys OK to be about 1 metre apart. I am just a little concerned this power shift in their (long) mating season has resulted in Boy 1 (Dad drake) being isolated and depressed. Any insights are very welcome!

After some further consideration, I mused on a few ideas:

It is still mating season, as although it is now mid-autumn here, it is unseasonably warm.
The young drake came into sexual maturity at the start of mating season.
Apparently (and as observed) - older muscovy generations will not mate in the 1st season a young brood reach maturity, and I have only witnessed the young ones mating.
There is no threatening behaviour coming from the young drake - more a defensive behaviour coming from the older one; who is a) not mating at this time as neither of his girls are, with his main girl still raising a now 2 month old duck

So I THINK his behaviour and the group behaviour will change when the weather cools down, and may be different next mid-spring to mid-autumn (mating season again here)

I guess the sensible thing to do, given they are not actually fighting or exhibiting aggression, is wait and see, and spend some more time with the older drake (who was hand raised) to keep him in good spirits.

I welcome thoughts and insights on this!

Having raised Muscovy (with multiple drakes), I agree with you that the behavior doesn't seem too worrisome. When they're in full breeding season hormonal mode, you'll see pretty dramatic dominance wrestling between the drakes - it's quite a spectacle. 🙂

Having raised Muscovy (with multiple drakes), I agree with you that the behavior doesn't seem too worrisome. When they're in full breeding season hormonal mode, you'll see pretty dramatic dominance wrestling between the drakes - it's quite a spectacle. 🙂
Thanks, that's what I thought. I don't much like seeing him look depressed or outcast, and neither are aggressive boys - but I heard Muscovy's can be pretty dramatic when it comes to asserting dominance (the drakes or ducks), as long as they don't really hurt each other in doing so!

They do have their little pack of older and younger and should have enough girls between them (including favoured ones). I suppose I shall see next mating season when the older group engage in mating again (they just flat our aren't at the moment!)

Hi all,
I have a muscovy drake, a hen and 7 ducklings. This is the first time our hen had ducklings, and she is a wonderful mom. The ducklings are 7 weeks old and so sweet! They have been growing very fast and we love them! I know at least 3 of them are female because they are smaller and recently the drake has been attempting to mate with them!!!! I try to keep him separated but it's been difficult. I have to keep them enclosed because our yard is not fenced and the fox has been coming by frequently. Is this a normal behavior for a drake? He was young when we got him and this is his first year being a "dad". He will also mate with our hen, but I think the ducklings are too young :( :( :(
I don't know what to do with him....and I want to protect the ducklings...any advice would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom