Muscovy ducks not sitting on eggs

Crandox

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2022
I have 9 female Muscovy ducks with one drakes and not even ONE of them will sit on their eggs for any amount of time at all. There seems to be 3 or 4 nests now in total, one has 16 eggs, another has 13, and the other has 8 eggs, and still NO sitting on eggs at all. I’m getting really worried because it’s been consistently 90-105 degrees here during the day, with night temperatures much lower at around 60-70, won’t this cause the eggs to start developing and then immediately die? It’s been a couple weeks since the first egg was layed and the females are between 5 and 6 months old. All I’ve heard is all this talk about Muscovy ducks being so broody and good mothers and the stupid things are just letting all their eggs die en masse! Can someone please tell me what’s going on or give me suggestions to help ensure a good hatch??

They are pretty young to go broody. And if the Drake is the same age, your fertility will probably not be that good. Just because you leave the eggs doesn't mean they will go broody. They also each will go broody at different times of the season. Each goes broody in their own time. I would personally collect eggs until one shows sign of being broody and then leave the eggs. The eggs will otherwise attract pests and potential predators.

Also most people recommend to wait at least one year before letting them hatch. They are not always the best mothers the first year.

They are pretty young to go broody. And if the Drake is the same age, your fertility will probably not be that good. Just because you leave the eggs doesn't mean they will go broody. They also each will go broody at different times of the season. Each goes broody in their own time. I would personally collect eggs until one shows sign of being broody and then leave the eggs. The eggs will otherwise attract pests and potential predators.

Also most people recommend to wait at least one year before letting them hatch. They are not always the best mothers the first year.
Ok well I will say I have seen the drake mounting the females But that was about a month ago, in the past couple weeks I haven’t seen him mounting any of them, could that mean the eggs are not fertile and that’s why they’re not broody? If the eggs are fertile should I be seeing the male regularly mounting the females? Maybe the females are sexually mature but he isn’t I don’t know.

Males mature before females.
One mating generally means fertile eggs for a few weeks after the union.
They don't care if the eggs are fertile or not when brooding. They can't tell any more than you can until they start to develop.
They're just not ready, just like just because a human can reproduce doesn't mean that individual is ready

Ok well I will say I have seen the drake mounting the females But that was about a month ago, in the past couple weeks I haven’t seen him mounting any of them, could that mean the eggs are not fertile and that’s why they’re not broody? If the eggs are fertile should I be seeing the male regularly mounting the females? Maybe the females are sexually mature but he isn’t I don’t know.
They will start trying to mate before sexually mature. And even if he is sexually mature, it doesn't mean he is doing a good job fertilizing them yet. A lot of drakes need a bit of practice at first. You can crack some eggs open and see if they are fertilized or not.

Females will brood on an empty nest or even if there are no drakes in the flock. They don't care if the eggs are fertilized. Mine were close to a year old before they ever became broody.

I would trash all the eggs there and for now wait gathering the eggs daily. Go have a duck omelette.

Your flock has a few months to go before they will be ready to hatch their own chicks. The hen will sit on her nest and not leave it for very long periods of time. Then she will be ready and you can give her some eggs to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom