Muscovy keepers share your pics!

:frow

I agree.  All look to be females from what I can see.

I say girl.  Girls' bodies are shaped like a football.  See the kind of straight line from the legs to tail in this shot... males don't have such a straight line.

X2

Thank you! I went back and read over some other threads about how to tell last night. I've just been going by overall size and voice not by body shape or legs at all. Going to check them all out again to get a better idea of what to look for. I have 10 babies coming!!! So I need to figure it out!

Hey Linda :)  It's a Chick Waterer it works very well .There are different designs , you can easily make one yourself its so simple ( Google it ) .. 
I really want to get some Runners they're great layers but its hard to find them around here .. Good Luck :love  

I will looks for the chick waterer. Thanks.
There are not any Runners around my state either. A friend on BYC sent me eggs last year from Idaho.

Linda

I have a random question. I see you guys referencing that drakes don't get a long. I bought 15 ducklings and I ended up with 6 drakes and 9 hens. They were hatched together and raised together. They were hatched in like June-ish last year and they all get along very well for the most part. Do you think that they'll start fighting now that spring is coming and they're older, or since they grew up together they just have their pecking order well established, and it won't be an issue? Or, is 9 hens for the 6 of them enough? They have a fairly small coop area where their feed is and they go at night with the chickens and one guinea. I have part of my yard fenced off with the intent of bringing some of my goats from my parents house, but it ended up working out really well for the poultry so they get it for now. I'm not sure if they don't realize they can fly or what because they never leave it. It's just fenced in cattle panels and they could easily get out if they tried. My cousin has 6 or 7 of her own scovies that have free reign of the rest of the yard (I rent from my grandma, interesting situation) and occasionally one of hers is in with mine, but mine never leave? I think they don't know they are ducks that can fly, and think they're chickens.

I have a random question.  I see you guys referencing that drakes don't get a long.  I bought 15 ducklings and I ended up with 6 drakes and 9 hens.  They were hatched together and raised together.  They were hatched in like June-ish last year and they all get along very well for the most part.   Do you think that they'll start fighting now that spring is coming and they're older, or since they grew up together they just have their pecking order well established, and it won't be an issue?  Or, is 9 hens for the 6 of them enough?  They have a fairly small coop area where their feed is and they go at night with the chickens and one guinea.  I have part of my yard fenced off with the intent of bringing some of my goats from my parents house, but it ended up working out really well for the poultry so they get it for now.  I'm not sure if they don't realize they can fly or what because they never leave it.  It's just fenced in cattle panels and they could easily get out if they tried.  My cousin has 6 or 7 of her own scovies that have free reign of the rest of the yard (I rent from my grandma, interesting situation) and occasionally one of hers is in with mine, but mine never leave?  I think they don't know they are ducks that can fly, and think they're chickens.    

Hi I have similar situation. My boys don't fight at all. They all get along as a foursome. Two girls two boys. But a very strange thing happened. We also had a female runner duck living on our farm and one of drakes fell in love. We now have very strange crosses. Be interesting to see if anyone else has seen this? ? :)

I forgot to mention my ducks are free range with no pens or anything. We are so lucky on the island we live we have no foxes or near anything to harm out babies.
smile.png
That's great to be without foxes. Last year we lost six chickens, three ducklings, and two goslings to a fox. We have been in the process of putting up much fencing, and electric and still keep their area large.

Back
Top Bottom