Muscovy keepers share your pics!

My Muscoy chicks are just 12 Days old and I have yet to really see them walk around their brooder yet. They don't seem lethargic, they seem aware of their surroundings, but they mostly just lay around. Don't do much scavenging or exploring around.

They appear to be eating when I am not looking since the food is going down and their poo seems colored and not clear.

Does this seem normal at this age?

My Muscoy chicks are just 12 Days old and I have yet to really see them walk around their brooder yet. They don't seem lethargic, they seem aware of their surroundings, but they mostly just lay around. Don't do much scavenging or exploring around.

They appear to be eating when I am not looking since the food is going down and their poo seems colored and not clear.

What is the temp in your brooder? too high a temp can cause them to lay around. it's actually not good for them. temps at 2 weeks should be around 80-85 I keep my temps on the lower edge. and 5* drop each week. If your having nice warm weather you can also take them outsuide for some fresh air and bug hunting as long as you can keep them all together for round up when time to go inside. Fencing would be ideal.

What is the temp in your brooder? too high a temp can cause them to lay around. it's actually not good for them. temps at 2 weeks should be around 80-85 I keep my temps on the lower edge. and 5* drop each week. If your having nice warm weather you can also take them outsuide for some fresh air and bug hunting as long as you can keep them all together for round up when time to go inside. Fencing would be ideal.

It is around 82 or 83 according to the thermometer, our weather outside is around 66 right now, but if the weather picks back up, I may be able to turn the light off since the house can get into the 80's on it's own on warm days.

We live in Washington State so our weather doesn't really get too high, but can fluctuate quite a bit during the summer.

I will try and move the light further away and see how it goes.

Thank you.

Same exact thing my young drake just went through. I was worried as well until one day I noticed he had stopped.
I've been worried for weeks. So happy to hear yours has stopped. Thanks for sharing.

X2

Some of my rare "wild" muscovys.
Male, hatched 2015.

Mother (right) and her 4 kids.
OMG, they are BEAUTIFUL!! How did you manage to get them?

It is around 82 or 83 according to the thermometer, our weather outside is around 66 right now, but if the weather picks back up, I may be able to turn the light off since the house can get into the 80's on it's own on warm days.

We live in Washington State so our weather doesn't really get too high, but can fluctuate quite a bit during the summer.

I will try and move the light further away and see how it goes.

Thank you.
Miss Lydia knows best
smile.png
Do they move around when you have your hands in the brooder?

What are you feeding?

Last edited:
I've been worried for weeks. So happy to hear yours has stopped. Thanks for sharing.

X2

OMG, they are BEAUTIFUL!! How did you manage to get them?

Miss Lydia knows best
smile.png
Do they move around when you have your hands in the brooder?

What are you feeding?
Yes they scurry around when I put my hand in. We are feeding them crumble feed and have plenty of water.

Yes they scurry around when I put my hand in. We are feeding them crumble feed and have plenty of water.

Sounds to me like they are needing some stimulation if you don't feel they are moving around enough. How many ducklings and how large the brooder? Might think of bringing some fun in like a shovel full of dirt with greens on top grass weeds etc. Or chopping up some romaine lettuce and putting it in their water, make sure when you introduce anything other than their crumble they have grit. At 2 weeks they can also have some dried meal worms I take them in my hand and kind of crunch them before offering them to my ducklings. Are they getting B3 in the form of niacin or brewers yeast?

Back
Top Bottom