Musings of a twenty-something hobby hatcher: Whole Foods Fertile Chicken Eggs / Rock Island -- UPDAT

Any babies yet?
X2

Inquiring minds want to know!
pop.gif

YES!

WE HAVE BABIES HATCHING!

wee.gif

It's been a rough road for those eggs. Unfortunately, I lost over a dozen within the last week of incubation due to unknown causes. They were incubated alongside a couple dozen local eggs which are doing great, so I am not sure what caused the massive die-off...

I ended up putting FIVE eggs into lockdown.
I went ahead and threw some questionable eggs in there as well...just in case.

I have three external pips, lots of soft peeping coming from the incubator. Sadly, one was almost completely hatched this morning but mysteriously died while I was away at work. The little guy was halfway out, yolk sac absorbed and veins fully receded, so that was terribly unfortunate. I'm not sure what happened to it. =(

But I have three little miracles fighting their way to freedom as I type. This has been quite an adventure for me, and I will be sure to follow up with plenty of pics of their development.

I have been practicing vent sexing over the past few months (I've only been about 75 percent accurate with the chicks I've been hatching for friends and family). Along with a feather comparison, I will be taking my best at a female to keep for myself.

Her name will be... Reno.

Last edited:
YES!

WE HAVE BABIES HATCHING!

wee.gif

It's been a rough road for those eggs. Unfortunately, I lost over a dozen within the last week of incubation due to unknown causes. They were incubated alongside a couple dozen local eggs which are doing great, so I am not sure what caused the massive die-off...

I have three external pips, lots of soft peeping coming from the incubator. Sadly, one was almost completely hatched this morning but mysteriously died while I was away at work. The little guy was halfway out, yolk sac absorbed and veins fully receded, so that was terribly unfortunate. I'm not sure what happened to it. =(

But I have three little miracles fighting their way to freedom as I type. This has been quite an adventure for me, and I will be sure to follow up with plenty of pics of their development.

I have been practicing vent sexing over the past few months (I've only been about 75 percent accurate with the chicks I've been hatching for friends and family). Along with a feather comparison, I will be taking my best at a female to keep for myself.

Sorry for the losses. :-(

So glad that some made it through! We have a broody that started out with 11 eggs had a loss of four to a snake and two have hatched successfully so far, waiting to see if the remaining five will hatch. It's really sad when they start to hatch and die in the process.

Yeah, the losses are rough... I hate seeing a fully formed chick just quit on me like that.

BUT... I am still so surprised that I actually have grocery store eggs hatching in my incubator right now. I just have to remind myself that it's a miracle some have even come this far.

You lost four to A SNAKE!?
duc.gif

That is terrifying! I hate snakes! What kind of snakes are there in your area?

Good luck with your hatch! You'll have to keep me updated!

I just went downstairs to take dinner out of the oven, and I was hocked to see a baby chick fully hatched and running around the incubator, peeping! I checked on the incubator about 40 minutes ago, and all I could see were external pips. That was the quickest hatch that I have ever been able to witness... craziness! Pip to full unzip.... BAM!

Completely yellow baby chick! Currently acting as a cheerleader. Its cuddled up next to an egg that is peeping back... cute to watch.

The hatched chick is encouraging the pipped eggs. "Just keep pecking, " the baby is saying. "You can do it! You can do it! Let's go! It's hatch time!"

Last edited:
YES!

WE HAVE BABIES HATCHING!

wee.gif

It's amazing that you got any as far as you did. I think Reno is an excellent name for such a lucky chick. I want to see some little fluff ball pictures soon.
jumpy.gif

I just went downstairs to take dinner out of the oven, and I was hocked to see a baby chick fully hatched and running around the incubator, peeping! I checked on the incubator about 40 minutes ago, and all I could see were external pips. That was the quickest hatch that I have ever been able to witness... craziness! Pip to full unzip.... BAM!

Completely yellow baby chick! Currently acting as a cheerleader. Its cuddled up next to an egg that is peeping back... cute to watch.

The hatched chick is encouraging the pipped eggs. "Just keep pecking, " the baby is saying. "You can do it! You can do it! Let's go! It's hatch time!"
Wow! that was quick! Hopefully the other babies will be as fast.

Yeah, the losses are rough... I hate seeing a fully formed chick just quit on me like that.

BUT... I am still so surprised that I actually have grocery store eggs hatching in my incubator right now. I just have to remind myself that it's a miracle some have even come this far.

You lost four to A SNAKE!?
duc.gif

That is terrifying! I hate snakes! What kind of snakes are there in your area?

Good luck with your hatch! You'll have to keep me updated!
It was a four foot bullsnake. The darn thing ate three eggs on day 5 and we took it far away (not far enough), then it came back about ten days later and got into a scuffle with our broody and another egg broke, it wasn't fertile, so it wasn't actually a loss.

She kicked that snake's butt out of her nest, though. By the time I had gotten back there with a shovel, it was slithering away. It was striking at her and trying to get to her eggs and she was flogging and pecking at it until it just gave up. I was afraid it was a rattlesnake for a minute, but it wasn't. Just a hungry bullsnake. It got to go for a very long ride in the pickup after that. :)

So cute!!!

Back
Top Bottom