Musky incubator

AlleysChicks

Enabler
6 Years
Oct 10, 2016
Southern Ohio
I have a hova bator foam incubator running day 6 atm. I opened it earlier and it smells musky inside. It was cleaned prior to eggs like always. I can see stuff on the wafer through the window. Eggs seem fine.

AB13D6CE-6266-49E1-9617-207033E4B581.jpeg

The wafer has a rough texture to it. It’s not as bad as the pic shows. Guess I could unplug it and take the air compressor to it.

That may be a good idea!
I'm assuming that is chick dander build up?

As for the musty smell...hopefully someone like @Pyxis will chime in, my thoughts would be to wipe with alcohol since it evaporates quickly, but not sure what alcohol does to styrofoam(?)

That may be a good idea!
I'm assuming that is chick dander build up?

As for the musty smell...hopefully someone like @Pyxis will chime in, my thoughts would be to wipe with alcohol since it evaporates quickly, but not sure what alcohol does to styrofoam(?)
I think so, it’s in the fan as well. I cleaned with chlorex wipes but couldn’t reach in the small space.

A wafer is the bi-metallic element that controls heat.
When it reaches temperature, the two different parts snap open to cut power to the heat element. When it cools, it closes again to resume passing power to the heat element.
I see! Thanks for the explanation:)

My incubator is not designed that way, so something new to learn every day!

Wafer and bi-metallic temperature control is an old school but still reliable method that was developed mid 1800s. They are mostly unaffected by dust.
How-A-Wafer-Thermostat-Works.jpg

Electronic thermostats are a bit more complex.

main-qimg-c0db796161fabdc6d6cd823e50a04c4d.png

Bi-metallic thermostats work with two different types of metal that bend at different rates and temperatures.

View attachment 1516120

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom