Must not touch! (update. babies are here!!!! pictures added)

cat

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Went out to feed our broody silkie, Kate Moss, and when she moved I could see the first egg has pipped! Could hear a little peep peep.

The temptation to pick it up was awful, so I am now back in the house trying to find something to do so I don't interfere.... today could be the day I finally get around to cleaning the laundry cupboard!

We have never hatched before so we are very excited.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Today is day 21, about how long does it take for eggs to hatch once they get started?

Last edited:
How is that laundry cupboard coming?
lol.png

That is so very exciting. I know that itchy finger feeling. SO hard to stay out of it. Congrats and good luck and keep us updated. It can take up to two days for an egg to hatch after pipping, although it's usually quicker. Don't worry. Mama chickie knows just what to do.
smile.png

Let us hear how it's coming!

Hehe! I've been there just once! My broody hatched two babies on July 4th. We only have the uno chick left because one of them died at about 3 weeks old, but I know what you're doing.

We got five out of six for our first ever hatch. Kate Moss the mum is doing a brilliant job of looking after the babies, she is still sitting on the remaining egg so I guess she hasn't given up yet.

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

DSC01059.jpg

DSC01055.jpg

DSC01058.jpg

DSC01057.jpg

Their real mama is a gold lace polish frizzle, but Kate Moss is the white Silkie who has brooded them. In Ireland our Silkies are the same size as large fowl, but I have heard that in USA Silkies are usualy bantam sized.

My Buff Orpington is sitting on 5 Araucana and 3 Maran eggs that are due on 20th, I hope she does as well as Kate.

Yep US Silkies are banty sized, but big hearted Mama birds, Ours just hatched a baby this morning and its sibling eggs are starting to Pip in the incubator now, I know she will adopt them all and be a happy Mom!

Back
Top Bottom