My “hen” started crowing?

Yeah, I'm thrown, too. Pullet crowing is not so common as one would believe from reading these forums, so I'm inclined to think it is a very late developing cockerel. But the feathering shows no signs of that, and if 5 months is right, then that adds to the confusion, because it should be showing male feathering by then.
I'm in complete agreement.

Will be very interesting to see the outcome! :)

~Alex

Very likely cockerel I'd agree it's very late developing! Bantams get pretty big combs rather early-

My golden neck duccle cockerel is just over four weeks and he is defiant Male. I'll post pictures later on him.
5 months is pretty young so watch him.
As for the spangles he might not be a mille fluer. He could very well be a columbian. Similar in color just lacking the spangles (black tip feathers with white cresents).

Thank you for everyone’s replies!

We showed him to our friend who raises chickens for a living and he completely agreed with you all and said he was a very late developing cockerel.

Unfortunately we can’t keep roosters in our city :( It makes me nervous for my 3 new chickens I hope are all hens!!

Last edited:
Thank you for everyone’s replies!

We showed him to our friend who raises chickens for a living and he completely agreed with you all and said he was a very late developing cockerel.

Unfortunately we can’t keep roosters in our city :( It makes me nervous for my 3 new chickens I hope are all hens!!
Sorry to hear its a cockerel! I was just reading this whole thread and came to the bad part!:he Its too bad you can't keep him!

I'm so very sorry to hear that....:hugs My heart breaks for you.

Unless, of course, said chook is "unusual," much like my chimera I pointed out earlier. This bird switches genders every few months. During spring and summer, it crows, wingdances, tidbits, and is significantly larger than d'Uccle pullets. During fall and winter, comb shrinks, crowing ceases, and submissive behavior ensues. No male specific plumage, either.
DSCN4495.JPG

While I'm guessing this is rare, is it possible that's what's going on? Bantam cockerels usually mature at an even more rapid rate than standards, which makes your situation even more confusing to me.

~Alex

Last edited:
As said I've included 2 pictures of my golden neck duccle cockerel. Again he is barely even 5 weeks old and very visibly a cockerel. As compared is a mille fluer pullet (so far!) Who is the same age.
Now while I still think cockerel I know it's not completely unheard of to have a "special" hen! When I raised leghorn hens for eggs I had a LB hen that crowed and attempted mating the other hens. She never laid an egg either! She was kept for entertainment and story purposes :')
Either way, sad to see you have to let it go!
Duccles are pretty rare where I'm at and that's why I decided to breed them!
Good luck!

Attachments

• 20180821_114207.jpg
    20180821_114207.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180821_114207.jpg
    20180821_114207.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180821_114203.jpg
    20180821_114203.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180821_114153.jpg