My 7 yr old's B Day present...............

Sweet feed for donkeys? Especially a baby? Not a good idea at ALL. (Actually for any equine-- you are asking for metabolic issues including founder in the future.)

I'm not up to date on donk nutrition, but definitely ask around. Vets are not necessarily knowledgeable either.

The milk replacer (don't think that's Calf Manna-- could be wrong) is a very good idea for a while. I would also look around to find a buddy to teach him how to be an equine-- maybe a neighbor or friend has a horse/mini/donk/mule they could lend you. Manners can be taught by people but can only be learned from another of his kind.

Good luck-- and don't let him walk all over you... firm but kind training is what will keep him a friendly donk.
smile.png

I'm not sure about young donkeys, but I've been feeding my horses sweet feed for about 12 years now, and have never had a founder problem. They just as healthy as anyone else's horses. I owned a donkey last year, for about a month, until he attacked me and I had to get rid of him, and he ate the sweet feed also. Hmmm, maybe that's why he attacked me???;)lol

Good luck with the little guy. He surely is a cutie.
smile.png

Paula

:)OH! He is a cutie! He must have a decent temperment to let the kids play with his ears and love on him.
I wish I could remember the name of the woman on RFD TV that works with and shows long ears. I would suggest reading her books. Maybe someone on here can think of her name.
hmm.png

Enjoy Him! It looks like you already are!

Back
Top Bottom