MrsGuinea

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2021
December 1st I noticed she would lay in the corner on the floor of the coop. I didn't see anything to be concerned. Later I noticed she had a limp. I thought
she may have been trampled. We have 2 guinea roosters that can play rough. I don't think they're bullies but they seem to be careless in their actions; any my RedRhode Island hen that I've raised since March with 3 other hens. 1 passed early in development. We have been free ranging and bring them in the evenings.
The first day I saw she wasn't moving I noticed a twitch in her neck. I almost thought she'd have a seizure, but the twitch didn't last long. Today I read about "Wry neck" & I'll continue to do more homework on that. I've not seen her neck twitch. She has an appetite when I toss out scratch during the day. I've isolated her to the run so the other birds will leave her alone. She has water w/ rooster booster electro solution mixed and her feed accessible down low.
I'm going to post a video from yesterday morning. She's eating the corn I scattered near her & she just can barely balance and carry herself. Her red mohawk seems dry and chalky.. what do I do?? Is there hope or do I need to put her down? Also, what do I do to make sure my flock doesn't catch anything if contagious.

ok, Idk how to post the video but if/when I figure it out I'll post it.
Looking fwd to what your thoughts. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• mohawkdiscolored-tendertouch (2).jpg
    mohawkdiscolored-tendertouch (2).jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 12
  • cantwalk-footballtumble.jpg
    cantwalk-footballtumble.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 6
December 1st I noticed she would lay in the corner on the floor of the coop. I didn't see anything to be concerned. Later I noticed she had a limp. I thought
she may have been trampled. We have 2 guinea roosters that can play rough. I don't think they're bullies but they seem to be careless in their actions; any my RedRhode Island hen that I've raised since March with 3 other hens. 1 passed early in development. We have been free ranging and bring them in the evenings.
The first day I saw she wasn't moving I noticed a twitch in her neck. I almost thought she'd have a seizure, but the twitch didn't last long. Today I read about "Wry neck" & I'll continue to do more homework on that. I've not seen her neck twitch. She has an appetite when I toss out scratch during the day. I've isolated her to the run so the other birds will leave her alone. She has water w/ rooster booster electro solution mixed and her feed accessible down low.
I'm going to post a video from yesterday morning. She's eating the corn I scattered near her & she just can barely balance and carry herself. Her red mohawk seems dry and chalky.. what do I do?? Is there hope or do I need to put her down? Also, what do I do to make sure my flock doesn't catch anything if contagious.

ok, Idk how to post the video but if/when I figure it out I'll post it.
Looking fwd to what your thoughts. Thank you in advance!
@Eggcessive @azygous

The only way you can post videos (sadly, I hope they change this soon), Is by making a YouTube/vimeo video, copying the link, and putting it here

I did read a helpful article on here about Merak's disease gave me very good insight. I know for sure my little hen is suffering paralysis.

Mareks could be a possibility. There are other things possible that could be ruled out, such as a sprain or injury. Are her eyes the same color and with equal pupils? The ocular (eye) form of Mareks which only affects certain chickens with Mareks, can cause a tiny irregular pupil and greying of the iris. They look pretty normal in the pictures, but the left one looks smaller. The neurological symptoms could fit with Mareks, but I would try giving her human vitamin E 400 IU daily along with some form of thiamine (B1,) which is found in many foods and human B complex. Here are 2 good articles to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/vdl-mareks-disease-fact-sheet.pdf

Marek's isn't the only virus that causes these symptoms. Lymphoid leucosis is another one, similar in symptoms. They are both contagious, but at this point, all your flock is now carrying it, whichever it turns out to be. Sadly, there is no cure for either.

Once a chicken becomes paralyzed, cannot hold their head up to eat, you may as well cull. But you would be wise to look for a lab to do a necropsy so you know what you are dealing with. It's likely to crop up again in your flock.

If you would post your location, we can help you locate a lab. The easiest way to approach this is to locate the lab, call them, make arrangements to bring her to them alive, and they will euthanize her for you, then have a fresh specimen to work on. They will be able to tell you exactly what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom