my aggressive rabbit doe.

kieno

Chirping
Oct 30, 2017
Jamaica
She shrieks, grunts, kicks and bites badly, she had kittens 3 days ago I can't put feed, water or change hay bedding without her scratching and biting me, I now have bite marks all over hand, I am tempted to conk her every time she acts like that, had her since she was a kitten, her aggression started since I had to cage her because she was pregnant, she was escaping the yard and going on the street, if she keeps this up she's gonna end up on someone's plate.

It's not uncommon for a doe to become aggressive after kindling. Some are bad, some aren't...you also said she got worse after you had to start caging her. Does she have enough space?

What breed is she?
She now roams the yard and my apartment her cage is a bit small had to put her in a larger space for her to have the kits, 7 tiny things born Saturday the 4, can't wait to see their color, don't know what breed, she weighs eight pounds, brown/blonde, she mated with her son and he's bigger than her, his father was smaller, I bought the doe at a petshop over a year ago.

You say she was bred back to her son, so I wonder - what was she like with the first litter? What is she like when she isn't preggo/nursing?

I've had plenty of does that became grumpy touch-me-nots when pregnant; that's understandable. I've had does that were so protective of their litters that I had to use subterfuges to get to the boxes so I could check on the litters, and I figure that's often part of the package of being a good mother. But they also have to get over it; I won't tolerate a doe that continues to go after me once the kits come out of the box. Of course, the animals I'm breeding may become pets, and I know that a certain amount of personality is inheritable. A friendly rabbit doesn't always produce more friendly rabbits, but a she-dragon is more likely to produce more just like her. I'd prefer not to be responsible for a child getting attacked by their pet, so there's only so much irritability I will put up with in my breeding stock. A doe this hostile would be seriously endangering her rights to a place in the gene pool, IMO.

If I had to deal with a rabbit like this, I would open the cage door and wait for her to come to me. When she moved to the front of the cage, I would keep my hands high, and wait until she either hunkered down or turned so that I could get a clear shot at her shoulders. I would quickly pin her and remove her from the cage, then do whatever I needed to do and get it all completed before I put her back. If possible, I would pet her and handle her gently before returning her; I don't want her thinking I am only going to rough her up and create even more hostility in her mind.

Good luck!

You say she was bred back to her son, so I wonder - what was she like with the first litter? What is she like when she isn't preggo/nursing?

I've had plenty of does that became grumpy touch-me-nots when pregnant; that's understandable. I've had does that were so protective of their litters that I had to use subterfuges to get to the boxes so I could check on the litters, and I figure that's often part of the package of being a good mother. But they also have to get over it; I won't tolerate a doe that continues to go after me once the kits come out of the box. Of course, the animals I'm breeding may become pets, and I know that a certain amount of personality is inheritable. A friendly rabbit doesn't always produce more friendly rabbits, but a she-dragon is more likely to produce more just like her. I'd prefer not to be responsible for a child getting attacked by their pet, so there's only so much irritability I will put up with in my breeding stock. A doe this hostile would be seriously endangering her rights to a place in the gene pool, IMO.

If I had to deal with a rabbit like this, I would open the cage door and wait for her to come to me. When she moved to the front of the cage, I would keep my hands high, and wait until she either hunkered down or turned so that I could get a clear shot at her shoulders. I would quickly pin her and remove her from the cage, then do whatever I needed to do and get it all completed before I put her back. If possible, I would pet her and handle her gently before returning her; I don't want her thinking I am only going to rough her up and create even more hostility in her mind.

Good luck!
Even when not pregnant she is like that, this morning i woke up and found 2 dead bunnies, the stupid rabbit stuffwd the tiny box with hay until 2 baby suffacated, she gets me so angry.

I'll tell you my solution to rabbits like that. I butchered them, cut them up, and put them in a roasting pan. I sprinkled the pieces with salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder. I dumped a can of cream of mushroom soup over the top, added some frozen peas and a few cut up potatoes. I covered the pan with aluminum foil and put it in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour. When the rabbit is nice and tender it is done. Made a delicious, simple, one dish meal.

I have an aggressive doe like that. She hasn't even had a litter yet. We're on attempt 2 of breeding her. She pancakes with bucks, then mounts them. Of the does I bought, she's the biggest and fastest growing, so I really want those genetics. But she gets one more shot at kits until her story sounds a lot like Cassie's.

I have an aggressive doe like that. She hasn't even had a litter yet. We're on attempt 2 of breeding her. She pancakes with bucks, then mounts them. Of the does I bought, she's the biggest and fastest growing, so I really want those genetics. But she gets one more shot at kits until her story sounds a lot like Cassie's.
Sounds just like mine, make her stay with buck for a few days she will mount them for a few days then one late night or early morning she Will allow him to mate, she will wait until the last minute to build nest, make sure she have enough space to scratch and try to dig so her natural instincts kick in and make sure to put hay with a nesting box on day 29 make sure enough hay is in the area so she can build nest how she wants, mine made the hay nest first then she pulled fur mine didn't do that (pulled fur) in her previous pregnancy until now. She will turn crazy crazy during pregnancy if she isn't already crazy before getting pregnant(I never knew rabbits bite)
1 more thing also give sunflower seeds for a week before mate it helps her get in the mood, and after she have the kittens romove any excessive hay trust me she will stuff the box and suffocate the kitts, mine went crazy with the fur pulling I'm almost proud looks like she is turning into a good mommy.

Attachments

• IMG_20171030_124614.jpg
    IMG_20171030_124614.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom