My Ameraucana/EE "pullet" is being very possessive over another pullet. Maybe she's not a pullet?

henspoopalot

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 27, 2014
I got my chicks from an online hatchery, except for one, Libby, that I fell in love with at a feed store (puffy cheeks!!) and brought home the day after the others came in the mail. (I was worried that we might lose our Buff Orpington. She was head-shaking and weak.) Libby (who is about 15 weeks old now) seems to act like a girl, except for the fact that she's very bossy, picks on the other girls, and is very possessive of one other pullet - our Australorp, Midnight. She insists on snuggling under Midnight's breast every night on the roost, and is aggressive to the other pullets to the point where they are almost on top of each other on the far end of the roost. (We added another roost, but they won't use it.) Libby doesn't like anyone near Midnight, and Libby also gets jealous when I pick up the others and hold them - yet she resists me picking her up.

My husband dubbed her "his chicken" when she was little, and used to let her lie on his chest and he'd pet her while watching TV on the couch. Maybe he spoiled her too much? LOL She still enjoys being petted, but catching her first is the hard part.

Anyway, I posted some pics on Facebook recently, and my friend who also has chickens questioned that Libby was a girl. I'll admit, her tail feathers are rather curved and she's possessive, but otherwise she is rather shy and hen-like. Her neck feathers aren't super thin. Her comb is not red at all. Her stance is not roo-like. I've had chickens before and many times as a kid. (Was in 4-H.) Normally, I can tell a roo. I never had Ameraucanas/EEs though. (You can see my other EE in one of the pics. Esther is awesome and smart.)

I figured I'd ask on here. What do you think? Is she a Libby.... or Liberace? Again, she's about 15 weeks old. THANK YOU!!!!

That EE is a pullet! Has the nice even pattern consistent with the EE look

I'm sure people will argue with me on this because of her tail feathers but if Libby turns into a cockerel I will be surprised. I've never seen a male EE with that pattern

Last edited:
It's not *normal* for her to be that attached, but we put two Comets in our coop and they never left each other's side (Though now one is injured and being babied in the house). What I'm saying is that's typical for them to become buddies with one or two other chickens..but I'm not sure about "possessive."

Compare her to my Silver and Luna. I agree with Basskids08, it's definitely a Pullet. We have some hens a bit like that.
She has way too much muff for a roo and she would have an appearable red pea-comb by now.

He's an Ameraucana, but same difference! xD They both lay Blue Eggs.

Here is my 2 year old rooster Silver

Compared to my 2 year old Hen Luna

Last edited:
Here's one of my girl EE

Thank you all so much! I am glad Libby is most likely a Libby after all.
Yes, chickens do have their own personalities! They are so much fun.

welcome-byc.gif

All the birds in your pics are pullets
smile.png

Animals can get attached in weird ways, and be possessive of their friends. I have a mare that had an abusive relationship
roll.png
. My gelding was mean to her and would bite/kick her whenever he felt like it. She'd still hang around him, and chase the other horses away from him, not letting them anywhere near him. It was that whole " He may beat the crap out of me, but don't you go near him you skank" thing....

Thanks! Yes, I kind of feel bad for Midnight. She just sits there patiently and lets Libby sleep underneath her.

Back
Top Bottom