My Ameraucana, has been squatting down and kind of panting with her bottom moving up and down (EGG B

christmaschicken

Songster
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
Christmas, Florida
I have a 2 year old Ameraucana,she has been off in the corner of the coup sitting low to the ground sometime laying in the corner.
She does not seem to have any respiratory issues or sneezing or anything like that. She has her wings down and is panting a little bit also her bottom is moving up and down, when I feel her abdomen it is squishy feeling and I swear I can feel an egg like object in there.

I have given her 4 hot water soaks to help things along (thinking she might be egg bound) I really don't know at this point, for it has been 2 days I also tried putting epson in the water and oil on her vent. Still NO EGG and her poop is really green and king of pasting to her bottom maybe cause she is not getting up much. I put her in a cage nice quiet place gave her yogurt and her normal feed and water. She does not seem to be responding to anything I read to try on her..

Any advice??

I'm experiencing this exact thing with my polish hen. No egg in two weeks from her, she typically lays every two or three days, she has zero other symptoms. Just off my herself, squatted down, feels thin. Not sitting on any eggs.. But I don't feel any eggs inside?

I have a 2 year old Ameraucana,she has been off in the corner of the coup sitting low to the ground sometime laying in the corner.
She does not seem to have any respiratory issues or sneezing or anything like that. She has her wings down and is panting a little bit also her bottom is moving up and down, when I feel her abdomen it is squishy feeling and I swear I can feel an egg like object in there.

I have given her 4 hot water soaks to help things along (thinking she might be egg bound) I really don't know at this point, for it has been 2 days I also tried putting epson in the water and oil on her vent. Still NO EGG and her poop is really green and king of pasting to her bottom maybe cause she is not getting up much. I put her in a cage nice quiet place gave her yogurt and her normal feed and water. She does not seem to be responding to anything I read to try on her..

Any advice??
Green poop can be an indication of not eating(other than eating grass clippings)could be egg peritonitis.

Try giving human calcium pill. Or a shot of calcium glutenate. When a hen is bound the calcium willl help her lay. hope this helps. Best of luck the vet will give a bound hen calcium glutenate shot. You might be able to find injectable calcium at the feed store. If you can't a human calcium pill will also work.

Last edited:
Try giving human calcium pill. Or a shot of calcium glutenate. When a hen is bound the calcium willl help her lay. hope this helps. Best of luck the vet will give a bound hen calcium glutenate shot. You might be able to find injectable calcium at the feed store. If you can't a human calcium pill will also work.

I just crushed up a calcium pill and put it in some yogurt a small amount, as to encourage her to get most of the pill in her. Hope this helps the poor girl out she really loves the warm baths.

I really hope this helps too. At the feed store you might be able to find the injectable calcium glutenate. I believe its used for lambs or calves
It would be under the name theracalcium. Just make sure the ingredients are calcium glutenate. If the human calcium pill does not relieve her try to find the injectable. You can call around and see if they carry theracalcium. You can give her 1/4 cc to 1/2 cc and see if this won't relieve her
I do know the vet gives bound hens injections of calcium glutenate. That's the ingredients of theracalcium.I have it on hand for my hens. But give the calcium pill time to work first. It can take a few hours. I really hope she lays for you soon! Did you apply some ky jelly to her vent to help her pass the egg? I'll pray for her. I hope things work out good! Keep us updated and God bless.

Back
Top Bottom