My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

Pics
I just read through this thread, and love what you are all doing. How are the NH cockerels doing in the temperament department? At least so far? I like the Freedom Ranger hatchery birds I've had, but haven't tried their NHs. And this year, very reluctantly raised Cornishx birds from TSC, because I was worried about shipping times and stress with the post office.
Our fourteen Cornishx birds all made it to ten weeks of age, and got huge; all in the freezer now, thankfully.
Following this thread!
Mary

I just read through this thread, and love what you are all doing. How are the NH cockerels doing in the temperament department? At least so far? I like the Freedom Ranger hatchery birds I've had, but haven't tried their NHs. And this year, very reluctantly raised Cornishx birds from TSC, because I was worried about shipping times and stress with the post office.
Our fourteen Cornishx birds all made it to ten weeks of age, and got huge; all in the freezer now, thankfully.
Following this thread!
Mary
Hey Mary. Welcome to the thread! As to your question...
The NH cockerels temperament...i would describe it as bold but not aggressive. They don't seem to have any fear of me, and occasionally squabble despite having separate feeders. That being said they don't rush me and have certainly never attacked me. They have pecked my hand when i'm bending to pour feed into their trough. They are excited eaters for sure.
Not wanting to deal with hatcheries and shipping was basically why I started thinking about all this, so I def get where you're coming from. Props on getting all your Cornish into the freezer!

Processed 6 NHs today. 5 cockerels and a pullet. The cockerels are a very nice size, with a noticeably different shape than cornish x, more leg less breast etc. The pullet was still quite small. I planned on doing 3 pullets but after 1 decided to let the others grow bit more. Currently everyone is taking a poilar bear dip. Pics of carcasses with weights to come this evening.

Just got finished gettin the birds in the freezer. They are 12 weeks old today. Here are some pics and weights.
I weighed one random cockerel. He clocked in at 5 1/2 lbs! Had to be at least 7 1/2 pounds live, prob closer to 8 if going by the 30 percent rule.
20211013_184249.jpg

20211013_184337.jpg

Some meaty drumsticks
20211013_191700.jpg

The pullet I did clocked in at jsut over 4 lbs. Not bad at all.
20211013_184437.jpg

here they are next to each other
20211013_184508.jpg

Back
Top Bottom