My baby chick won't drink

SophieReed

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2015
Hello everyone. Two days ago, 6 out of the 7 eggs in my incubator hatched. Just this morning i put them in their brooder and they seem to be doing pretty well. I read online that you have to teach them how to drink by dipping their beaks in the water, so i did just that. So far, i have seen all but one of my chicks drink. The one that won't drink will peck at the container of water, but will never drink it.I dipped her beak in the water a couple more times, yet still nothing. What should i do something, or just leave her be? Thanks!

This chick may need a little more attention. For a chick that isn't picking up the drinking routine, I hold it and dribble a little water on the side of its beak until it is sucking it in. It may need to actually taste water first in this manner and then it will drink on its own after you do this.

Go try it and report back how it went.

sometimes adding a little sugar to the water for first timers makes them want to drink. i'm considering adding a bit of hummingbird food for first time chicks. it's sweet and has vitamins. any thoughts on this idea?

sometimes adding a little sugar to the water for first timers makes them want to drink. i'm considering adding a bit of hummingbird food for first time chicks. it's sweet and has vitamins. any thoughts on this idea?
Poultry Nutri-Drench is better. It doesn't need to be digested. Put it in their water. I raise all my chicks on it for the 1st 2-3 weeks to get them off to a strong start. http://www.nutridrench.com I get mine at Tractor Supply. Smallest bottle is plenty. It is very concentrated. 6.99 Instructions: give one drop only by mouth. Repeat every 8-10 hours until perky. Put 2ml per gallon in their water. Mine looks like very weak tea.
Best Success,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom