My 'barn coop'

skerber123

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Madera, CA
Well, we're finally rounding the corner to a finished coop! Thought I would share (cause I'm just too darn excited not to!)
I've been having a hard time deciding on a design I wanted.. Too many cute ideas out there. As soon as I would finally bring and idea to my Husband I'd change my mind the next day. I think I was driving him a bit crazy! So last weekend over breakfast he grabbed a napkin, sketched out a coop and said 'hows this?' It was perfect, so we came home and got to work.... Here's the start of the frame...
we started on our back patio, and soon realized we better move the sucker to its permanent spot before it got too heavy! We couldn't do it just the two of us, thankfully we have a very strong 12 and 13 year old to help :)
we made it about this far, and decided to hit it hard the following weekend. I came home on Monday for lunch and found the hubs working on it... He got the nesting boxes framed up
Saturday morning we made our run into town for more supplies and hit it hard once again! Walls going up!
brain storming
for paint I added a 'roll-a-tex' texture additive... It was pretty much sand added to the paint.. It filled all the cracks and lines in the wood and gave it a really nice textured finished..
door is up!
inside
we put everyone in last night and realized quickly the top roost on the ladder is too close to the wall, which we had a feeling it would be, but wanted to see what every one did once they got in there to see what modifications we needed to make....
we also put a couple of roost up higher which they loved! So here she is.. We still need to build the nesting boxes in the interior, lay the floor and do the roof.. But she's coming together!

Well, we're finally rounding the corner to a finished coop! Thought I would share (cause I'm just too darn excited not to!)
I've been having a hard time deciding on a design I wanted.. Too many cute ideas out there. As soon as I would finally bring and idea to my Husband I'd change my mind the next day. I think I was driving him a bit crazy! So last weekend over breakfast he grabbed a napkin, sketched out a coop and said 'hows this?' It was perfect, so we came home and got to work.... Here's the start of the frame...

Oh no! I was originally wanting to do it out of reclaimed wood and pallets also.. My dad brought me a stack of pallets and I think when my hubby saw it (and saw how much work it would be to tear those pallets apart) he was like NO WAY lets just start from scratch. I still plan on tearing all those pallets apart and making nesting boxes around the yard. I saw some where on BYC a member doing that and they were so cute! I figure even if the ladies don't use them they'll be a super cute addition to the yard!
Hope you get the mite problem taken care of to!!

Oh no! I was originally wanting to do it out of reclaimed wood and pallets also.. My dad brought me a stack of pallets and I think when my hubby saw it (and saw how much work it would be to tear those pallets apart) he was like NO WAY lets just start from scratch. I still plan on tearing all those pallets apart and making nesting boxes around the yard. I saw some where on BYC a member doing that and they were so cute! I figure even if the ladies don't use them they'll be a super cute addition to the yard!
Hope you get the mite problem taken care of to!!

Back
Top Bottom