My Big Red Broilers

bobbi-j

Enabler
14 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
This year I raised McMurray’s Big Red Broilers as my meat birds. I got a dozen cockerels. They are now about 10 weeks old. We will be processing them soon. I had considered keeping one back as my flock rooster, but I don’t think that would be a kindness to the bird. They sit down a lot, and don’t seem to wander very far from the coop. (One picture has a layer pullet near the BRB for comparison.)
844B3E72-BE3E-4393-9BBE-27D2DC884E26.jpeg
F2133BB3-96A4-4698-903D-F559FFADCCC3.jpeg
BC931E64-98B1-46FB-AB45-EDD75037E531.jpeg

For those who spatchcock their chickens, will it work on birds this size? I want to try it on at least one.

This year I raised McMurray’s Big Red Broilers as my meat birds. I got a dozen cockerels. They are now about 10 weeks old. We will be processing them soon. I had considered keeping one back as my flock rooster, but I don’t think that would be a kindness to the bird. They sit down a lot, and don’t seem to wander very far from the coop. (One picture has a layer pullet near the BRB for comparison.)
View attachment 3199982View attachment 3199983View attachment 3199984

For those who spatchcock their chickens, will it work on birds this size? I want to try it on at least one.
You can spatchcock anything. I've done it to store bought cornish hens for grilling, and I once did it to a turkey in an effort (successful) to preserve more moisture in the breast by ensuring the light meat and the dark meat required similar cooking times. Brining and an aluminum foil "shield" are still recommended, of course.

Nice looking birds. If you were going to try to hatch sustainable meat mutts keeping one would be a good idea. Probably would have to replace come fall.

I seen an episode of America test kitchen where they spatchcock a 12 lb turkey.
Very fond of ATK -
I've seen that episode too, and own their cookbook (among too many others).

Until then, I thought I was the only one doing it. i learned the technique from watching Good Eats w/ Alton Brown.

You can spatchcock anything. I've done it to store bought cornish hens for grilling, and I once did it to a turkey in an effort (successful) to preserve more moisture in the breast by ensuring the light meat and the dark meat required similar cooking times. Brining and an aluminum foil "shield" are still recommended, of course.
What do you use for brining? And the foil? I’ve never done it before, and know nothing about it. Do you spatchcock when you process, or wait until you are ready to cook the bird? Does it matter?

What do you use for brining? And the foil? I’ve never done it before, and know nothing about it. Do you spatchcock when you process, or wait until you are ready to cook the bird? Does it matter?
In reverse order -

It doesn't matter.

I use a 3.5% brine solution, to which I sometimes add some dried seasonings (garlic powder, peppercorns, etc). For most people, a 5% brine solution is probably more to their flavor liking (3 level Tbls of table salt per Qt of water). You can also use 2 pts salt to 1 pt sugar, which works well brining.

and I take a sheet of aluminum foil, fold it into a trinagle that covers the breast. Apply cooking spray. After the first half hour in the oven, I put the alum foil triangle over the breast, helps slow cooking somewhat, giving the thighs time to "catch up". When the thighs are about 15 min from doneness (accounting for the rest period) I'll remove the triangle to let the skin dry more and brown up nicely for service.

hope that helps.

In reverse order -

It doesn't matter.

I use a 3.5% brine solution, to which I sometimes add some dried seasonings (garlic powder, peppercorns, etc). For most people, a 5% brine solution is probably more to their flavor liking (3 level Tbls of table salt per Qt of water). You can also use 2 pts salt to 1 pt sugar, which works well brining.

and I take a sheet of aluminum foil, fold it into a trinagle that covers the breast. Apply cooking spray. After the first half hour in the oven, I put the alum foil triangle over the breast, helps slow cooking somewhat, giving the thighs time to "catch up". When the thighs are about 15 min from doneness (accounting for the rest period) I'll remove the triangle to let the skin dry more and brown up nicely for service.

hope that helps.
Thank you! I can’t wait to give it a try!

Thank you! I can’t wait to give it a try!
With chickens, plenty of people will add citrus peel, cumin, coriander, lemongrass and other "bright" flavor components to the brine - I've done it myself, its tasty - but for turkey, I think simpler is better.

and if you do go the salt & sugar route, brown sugar - w/ that bit of molasses - is a better choice than table sugar. Particularly if you are smoking or grilling.

Today was the day. We processed 11 BRBs. There were 12 red cockerels, but the twelfth one looks and weighs more like an egg-laying breed than a meat bird. About the same size as the Blue Andalusian McMurray sent as my extra chicken.

Back to the broilers. They ranged in weight from 5 1/2 - 7 1/2 lbs. All had a layer of fat, so I don’t think anyone was starving. All were nice looking carcasses.

4EA07163-103B-499B-A0B5-FAB7F4B84DEA.jpeg
DE41178B-3F22-4E61-8186-846C3980FFC1.jpeg

These were a couple of the bigger ones.

I did not attempt to spatchcock any of them today. I kept four whole ones, so I can try it when I cook one. After all the rest of the processing, I just didn’t feel like it tonight.

Today was the day. We processed 11 BRBs. There were 12 red cockerels, but the twelfth one looks and weighs more like an egg-laying breed than a meat bird. About the same size as the Blue Andalusian McMurray sent as my extra chicken.

Back to the broilers. They ranged in weight from 5 1/2 - 7 1/2 lbs. All had a layer of fat, so I don’t think anyone was starving. All were nice looking carcasses.

View attachment 3214033View attachment 3214034
These were a couple of the bigger ones.

I did not attempt to spatchcock any of them today. I kept four whole ones, so I can try it when I cook one. After all the rest of the processing, I just didn’t feel like it tonight.
Nice looking birds 😍

Back
Top Bottom