My black mystery hen!

mamabokbok

Songster
5 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Australia
So I've been looking around all night trying to figure out what this hen could be just because I'm really curious but nothing seems to add up. She is bantam size and jet black with a green sheen appart from her neck which is gold and she has a completely black beak, comb and wattle which are very small, I'm not really sure what the name of this comb is, it's tiny and looks like serrated knife if that makes sence? She also has black eyes and black feet and nails, but the skin under her feathers is white. Her tail is pointed up and out straight and her body is thin/petty in size and she has 5 toes, her feathers are just the usual type. She was sold to me as a bantam wynedotte
1f610.png
I think she is absolutely stunning she is so dark and streamline, but definitely a cross breed right? And does she even look x wynedotte or something completely different
1f615.png
what were the perants likely/possibly to be?! I kept searching but I couldn't figure out two possible perants with all of these specific traits combined between them and it just seems ridiculously lucky if she got them all from 3-4 different breeds like what are the chances of her getting all matching black features as well as feathers by careless accident? So I had to ask because I so would love to be able to get more like her if there are more like her out there! She's fairly calm and easy going and she wasn't raised as a pet so I think she might just be naturally holding that personality trait, it hasn't been difficult for me to handle her, she doesn't resist much to being picked up and she sits patiently for me until I let her go. I have to try to get proper photos tomorrow of her whole body, I can't seem to get any that show true to how she actually looks in real life
1f62e.png
what do you think? Also I wanted to name her Ebony and my daughter wanted to name her treasure and now we can't decide because they are both equally nice suiting names so that needs to be settled on too lol?

Do you have any pics to show? It would be most helpful. There are several black based birds and many breeds that have black as a color option. Comb size and shape are important, as well as leg and skin color to help figure out your girl's background.

This is a picture of her head (but she's slouching so she looks quite different to how she looks standing normally) with her friend pom-pom who she grew up with, they are both supposed to be 7 months old and pom-pom was sold as a buff Pekin which seems legit? the seller dude breeds them and had HEAPS of chickens and a huge set up there but he was completely clearing out all of his birds and these were the only two bantams left so I didn't get to see any of the others to compare, he advertised for clearance sale light Sussex bantams, persige wynedotte bantams and pekins of all different colours (said he was going over seas had to sell them all) this black chicken isn't any of those breeds? And she probably looks more like the 'black Sussex' bantam as far as her body shape goes, I found similar colour match for vlack Sussex as well from what I found on Google but clearly she also has some specific key features that are quite different. I have to get better pics.

Do you have any pics to show? It would be most helpful. There are several black based birds and many breeds that have black as a color option. Comb size and shape are important, as well as leg and skin color to help figure out your girl's background.

Sorry, read a little more detail... five toes only belongs to a small amount of breeds, that being said Faverolle is my first guess, if you're in the US, but if you're in the UK I would venture more toward a dorking mix.
Hi yeah sorry my phone really fights me to get the photos 'embeded' and posted on
1f612.png
I managed to get one up at least but it's not a real good picture, the other one I have of her is just of her in the garden so still not overly clear, I will get more! I'm in Australia actually, there isn't a lot of access to fancy breeds here and I get the impression that the really serious breeders who actually are keeping the more rare types or the true pure breed quality lines are not advertising to the public. I can't find anything else for sale other than common, standard size, egg laying machines like hatchery type birds readily available
1f610.png
people out of my state seem to have some more interesting breeds that I never even knew about like the fizzled bantams, I am unsure if the types you said are in the country I'll have to check it out.

Hi yeah sorry my phone really fights me to get the photos 'embeded' and posted on
1f612.png
I managed to get one up at least but it's not a real good picture, the other one I have of her is just of her in the garden so still not overly clear, I will get more! I'm in Australia actually, there isn't a lot of access to fancy breeds here and I get the impression that the really serious breeders who actually are keeping the more rare types or the true pure breed quality lines are not advertising to the public. I can't find anything else for sale other than common, standard size, egg laying machines like hatchery type birds readily available
1f610.png
people out of my state seem to have some more interesting breeds that I never even knew about like the fizzled bantams, I am unsure if the types you said are in the country I'll have to check it out.

The Australia part makes a bit more sense. That isn't a wyandotte comb. She makes me think of a silkie with all the black going on in the comb...

You may want to research what breed (s) you are interested in and the google. Most breeds have a society that promotes them. You should be able to find breeders and more info about standard if perfection. You may also want to check out the fairs where livestock is showcased, the people showing off their fowl ought to be helpful
1f609.png

I researched before I buy just to choose a type that was appropriate for my location/needs and decided that wynedotte bantams were the best all round, they also come in my favourite colours gold lace/black lace
1f60d.png
I also really loved the sound of pekins and had a hard time deciding, but I decided that choice would be based on which was more practical
1f60f.png
... but then tracking any down for sale wasn't easy, literally only one seller advertising
1f610.png
my mum did say that she knew someone who was in a poultry club just out of state, but I just wanted 3-4 cute, little pet hens not to join another pet hobby club lol I would easily become crazy and end up with more chickens then I could fit in my housegoing down that path.. I started off with 4 chicks from that one seller, two died fairly early in and she stopped selling as said that some of hers were also sick when I called for advice, also went on to tell me that the chicks born with the other colour type I liked wanted to get when they hatched seemed inbreed
1f61f.png
so I just left it at that and I ended up with what looks to be a STANDARD gold lace wynedotte CROSS
1f610.png
and a bantam wynedotte that's possibly also not truely pure although it's legs are infact a pale yellowish colour I was looking at them today so maybe it is and it's possibly a rooster, is supposed to be Columbian but has blondish splash colour feathers on its wings so I'm unsure how it's gonna turn out later colour wise. after all that heart ache losing half and raising them in the house with the smell/mess and having them turn out to be the wrong size/cour and being paranoid that they were both boys and I'd have to choose one to get rid of
1f628.png
I was over it lol so picking up a few young
young hens to add and being done with it was my new plan and this advertisement said there was wynedotte bantams, I didn't really care if they were pure breed as I had my chicks being bitsers anyway, which is lucky considering that I got a dodgy again and fell for two completely different chickens
1f602.png
they were just too adorable not to take home! I love them all so much, my little odd balls. So I'm on here learning all this new stuff and quite rapidly too since I'm heaps interested, but I'm done for collection I can't have any more chickens. I'm still really interested in figuring out what the ones I have are though
1f60a.png

This is just a fraction.... I started with ten feed store purchases expecting a couple to pass, chicks are sensitive, ended up with 5 hens and a roo... the addiction was set in. I couldn't afford the birds I really wanted, rumpless tufted aracaunas, so I settled for ameracaunas, purchased five chicks all survived and we're girls. Predators happened and so I felt the need to get more. So between finally being able to get my dream birds, I have another dozen varieties plus mutts. This spring I'll be looking at 41 layers and 7 roos. LOL

I did some searching... the only info I could find on black faced chickens. Silkies, most always have black faces. Ayam Cemani are the East Indian bird that is black through and through, skin, meat, internal organs are dark, etc. Your girl should be a cross of one of those, most likely silkie.

Back
Top Bottom