My broody Barnevelder is hatching eggs. Wanna see what comes out?

Pastel the Rooster

Crossing the Road
Apr 22, 2022
Southern Georgia
My Barnevelder, Willow, is currently brooding some eggs. I have no idea how far along they are, I'm guessing maybe a week?
There are 13 eggs under her.
I'm hoping to be able to steal her eggs for a short amount of time to candle them, and get rid of any with no growth.
So, because I have no idea if any are even going to hatch, I'm not going to "adopt" any eggs out. Although all of you are welcome to tag along and see what we get.
Name suggestions, if you please! I could use some!

I have chicks! Willow went broody again a few days ago and I bought four chicks. Two Barred Rocks and two Easter Eggers (I think)
The chicks are about a week old I think. I just shoved them under Willow yesterday and she loves them.
Their names are Crystal, Opal, Sapphire, and Ruby. Sapphire and Ruby are BR’s and Crystal and Opal are EE’s.
Just wanted to let y’all know since you guys wanted to see chicks.
IMG_0399.jpeg
IMG_0349.jpeg
IMG_0279.jpeg
IMG_0224.jpeg

I was able to take all of her eggs to candle them. Out of the 13 that were under her, I got 6 good eggs.
One got smashed (I found it. Willow must have accidentally smashed it.) And unfortunately I'm pretty sure that it was fertile, but were not gonna let that stop us.
Any name suggestions and any guesses on how many will hatch out of the 6?

The egg hatched, but I was gone, and baby died. I knew that she was gonna hatch, because I saw the pip and heard her chirping, but when I got back the next day (today) she was dead next to Willow.

I may take the other eggs and out them in my incubator. I'm also gonna try to candle them.

Back
Top Bottom