My broody cracked her egg!

Miss Cheep

Songster
Aug 6, 2021
WA state
Hello! When my broody was off her nest, I went to check on her eggs and one was broken! Is there a way I can save it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 7
Hello! When my broody was off her nest, I went to check on her eggs and one was broken! Is there a way I can save it?
How far along is this egg? Chicken or duck? Do you have an incubator? You will need to put that egg in an incubator for best chances. I'd be concerned a broody would expose it to bacteria, or break it the rest of the way.
If it were me, I would grab an eating egg and crack it. Then take a piece of shell from that eating egg and place it over the broke part. For now I would just place it, I'm going to tag @MGG, maybe you could even tack that piece of shell down with clear nail polish.

How far along is this egg? Chicken or duck? Do you have an incubator? You will need to put that egg in an incubator for best chances. I'd be concerned a broody would expose it to bacteria, or break it the rest of the way.
If it were me, I would grab an eating egg and crack it. Then take a piece of shell from that eating egg and place it over the broke part. For now I would just place it, I'm going to tag @MGG, maybe you could even tack that piece of shell down with clear nail polish.
It is a duck egg, it’s about five days. Yes, I do have a incubator. Would regular nail polish do? I don’t have any clear ones.

It is a duck egg, it’s about five days. Yes, I do have a incubator. Would regular nail polish do? I don’t have any clear ones.
Regular will work. For now, I would use a baby wipe to wipe the debris and dirt away from the area. Then lightly tack a new piece of egg shell over the broken part. Hope he makes it. Make sure the incubator is VERY clean, and wash your hands every time you touch the egg.

It looks like too much of a hole through the membrane not just a crack in shell and looks like it has already leaked. No way to keep bacteria out if it isn't already contaminated. Sorry but I would discard that egg.
The chances aren't very high for this one, thats for sure. Doesn't hurt to try though. I would be surprised if it makes it to hatch.

The chances aren't very high for this one, thats for sure. Doesn't hurt to try though. I would be surprised if it makes it to hatch.
I don't believe that egg has any chance of hatching being it's that early in incubation. Plus, it has leaked fluid out of egg already. Also looks like contaminated dirt already on membrane around hole.

Regular will work. For now, I would use a baby wipe to wipe the debris and dirt away from the area. Then lightly tack a new piece of egg shell over the broken part. Hope he makes it. Make sure the incubator is VERY clean, and wash your hands every time you touch the egg.
I’ll try that, although like everyone said, there’s probably only a slim chance of it surviving.

I don't believe that egg has any chance of hatching being it's that early in incubation. Plus, it has leaked fluid out of egg already. Also looks like contaminated dirt already on membrane around hole.
I didn't look at the photo up close, now that I check back, your right. OP can try, though I doubt it will make anywhere unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom