My brother is having his leg removed February 12th - Advice?

I've gone through amputations with several friends and with a couple of my students who were injured in a roll over accident.
The hardest part for them has been psychological; forgetting the limb isn't there, seeing how others react to you, pity from other, staring, etc.
Phantom feelings can be very strong, they will have the sensation of itching or pain in the missing limb, the nerve endings in the stump still transmit feelings.
He will need to find an answer to those who will ask questions, especially those who don't have the need to know. But for some reason people feel the need to walk up to an amputee and say things like: Gee, guess you save on a pair of shoes? or How did you lose your leg? Did it run off while you weren't looking? They don't mean to be hurtful but they don't know how to act or react and tend to blurt out stupid things. If he has an answer before it happens it will be easier.
One of my friends who lost both legs to diabetes, above the knee, and can't have prosthetics because of weight and health issues always has an answer. Usually he's say something like darn,, my legs are missing??? or No I don't save money, they still charge for both. Hey,, why don't you cut off the other leg and we'll share?
For kids he'll usually tell them to be careful and eat right so they don't get sick and lose a limb.
The first few months of trying to stand up and forgetting you are missing a leg can be very hard. It's frustrating to fall, or sit back down suddenly, and there really isn't much you can do to change those feelings.
If the depression that most suffer from gets really bad make sure he stays in contact with his counselor. He should have one before, during, and afterwards to help him deal with this situation. His family will need help and counseling too, he might tend to turn away from those he loves because he thinks he's protecting them from seeing him in this condition.
Make sure he knows he is still loved and valued for the person he is, with or without both legs.
There are a lot of support groups for amputees, and they are free, check your local paper and ask around hospitals and VA clinics especially. with all the war wounded coming home there will be more and more support for amputees and TBI patients.
Good luck and you are in my prayers.
kate

My prayers are with you and yours. I don`t know how to put how I feel in words.But just give it to God.I know that sounds so easy,but it is not.I have never been in that situtation.Been in lots of different other things.Dealing with Cancer and loosing all my family to Cancer,except me and one brother.That hurts and i am sure you are hurting so much .I wish I could be of more comfort to you.
I was thinking of some things that could be done,if different people could donate a hog and supply all the slaw and husspuppies.That would allow all monies to go to the operation and there would be no expense in it.WE have done this here alot of times and it works out great.
We have had as many as 15 hogs donated at one time and we always have chicken to go with it.We usually do this at our Volunter Fire Dept. Or at our Community Center.Everyone is always so willing to help.Maybe this would work for you.The neighbors get together and Barbque the hogs.And have a wonderful time.Because it is to help someone else.If u know of someone that would be willing to get this started,it would be a big burden off of you.God Bless You,SHuff chicks,,,,,,NC
Sandra Huffman if I can be of some help let me know.
hugs.gif

My husband lost his leg at age 9, riding in the back of a truck...it crushed his femur and severed his artery. At the time there were no options. He became a prosthetist, he got into the business after being treated so poorly and vowed to do better! Please pm me and I will give you his contact information...he is compassionate and can give great moral support, and that ALWAYS comes free! I have seen lots of great support for your brother here, there are people who will help, just make sure he he gets what he needs! Take care

Emily,
Jan. 07' my FIL was in the hospital for a wound on his lower leg that would not heal. While he was in there he developed an infection in the would the idiot nurses(sorry nurses out there) the ignored the infection and just kept on changing the dressing:he:
th.gif
As a result the infection went deep into his leg. The hospital would not admit that it was their fault or that it was out of hand. He finally called his private dr. and when he came to look at it he ordered an ambulance at one to come and take him to UCLA.

When he got there he had to have two surgeries to try to remove the infected tissue etc. after the second he had a turn for the worse and we thought that we would lose him. They performed another surgery and then decided that he had to have his lower leg amputated before the infection continued up the leg, as it had advanced so far that they could not get it all out.

It was hard for him at first, then he realized that at least he was alive! When we went to see him or talked on the phone to him he was always joking.

He has had some problems especially finding the right prosthetic made of the right material(his latex one he was allergic to ) But now he loves his new one(the fourth) and is doing great! He had his car refitted? so now he can drive using his hands.

Maybe the hospital has someone that they can have come talk to Scott(my brothers name also) that has had an amputation. When my sister was having her double masectomy, that's what the hospital she was in did, they sent three women to talk to her.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, just be there for him the same as always.

Monica

Back
Top Bottom