My Buff Orp hurt her leg

TundraChick

Songster
12 Years
Aug 6, 2007
West Viriginia
She won't bear weight on it. There are no signs of infection. She looks great. I am thinking of separating her in a small dog crate and giving asprin. How much asprin and for how long? and would she be better of isolated or with the group?

Give her a quarter of an asprin, mashed up and diluted with water via syringe. I'd keep her someplace where she will stay calm but can't move around a lot. Do you have a chicken tractor you can keep in the coop?
Edited to add: If you can keep her in the crate without her freaking out and making it worse, do that.

Last edited:
When I had an injured pullet I did keep her in a dog crate for a week so she wouldn't have to get up to get food/water, but I kept the crate in the coop so she was in familiar surroundings and at night the others were with her. The second week she still wasn't putting weight on the injured foot very much, so I kept her in the crate at night but let her have access to the coop during the day. I continued to keep her locked in until she could use the injured leg fairly well. At the end of the second week a hawk got one of the others, so no one was allowed outside the third week.

If this helps: Our SLW pullet injured her leg somehow in the fall; she was limping pretty badly but no outward signs of blood or swelling or splinters, etc. It was a mystery. She healed in about a week and is totally fine now. I figure she must have landed wrong on it and sprained or bruised herself somehow.

Back
Top Bottom