My Cactus Chicks

Silkie2299781

Songster
Feb 21, 2023
About 2 weeks ago I found a 6-month-old red hen hidden in a cactus on 21 eggs. I brought them in and candled them. every single one of them was alive and well. I moved them to a different hen who was a 1-year-old Wyandotte because I didn't trust "Skittles"

Only 5 days later a little black chick started to hatch! I brought her inside just to make sure everything went smoothly and returned her once she was fluffy. I repeated that with 3 more eggs, and after that I let Momma do the rest.

2 days later and 14 had hatched! There were 7 left, but they had at least 1 week left, so I couldn't keep them. I gifted them to a good friend of mine, and 2 have hatched!

fun fact: momma "Addie" was adopted by a broody hen when she was a few days old!

I have named 2 so far with my dessert theme: Canyon + Prickles, and one my brother named Puffy (puff adder snake)

Any name ideas welcome!

Screenshot 2024-05-03 7.21.38 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-03 7.24.28 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-03 7.24.17 PM.png

They're so cute; good rescue work on your part!

As far as names, deserts are always Dusty. Or, you could name them for deserts -- like Sahara or Gobi.

Best wishes with your babies!

Congrats on all those babies! ❤

Oooh love Desert/Cactus names! Sandy, Mesa, Prickly, Cactus, Mohave, Oasis, Rocky, Tumbleweed, Desert Rose, Scorpion, Shady, Sunny, Coyote... to name a few. 😊

Back
Top Bottom