My cat has allergies and we have tried EVERYTHING!

debilorrah

The Great Guru of Yap
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
The Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center
He shoots snot rockets at the wall. It is gross. He is such a sweet cat that we overlook it, but we are spending a ton on Kleenex!!! He has been to the vet to the tune of about $1100 and nothing yet. I keep thinking I should give him Zytek!
roll.png

Poor thing! Both you and the cat!!
big_smile.png
Have you tried a different diet? I wonder what she is allergic to! I have never seen a cat shoot snot rockets before!
lau.gif
Thank goodness!!

We have changed the food numerous times. Sometimes it gets worse and sometimes it's better. The indoor cat food makes it a little better, but the vet finally shrugged his shoulders and said "Allergies".

What kind of dish are you using? Try avoiding plastic dishes. My cat had severe allergies last year and her face was all scabby from scratching. It may just be that time of year, I think I see more scabs appearing on her
idunno.gif
Have you tried staying away from foods with chicken in it? Go more towards the fish based foods or lamb.

My mom used give our cat a little sliver of crushed Sudafed in a piece of hamburger. He would have horrible runny eyes, nasty goopy boogers and looked miserable. The sudafed cleared him up for 12 hours at a time and he was never worse for the wear.

Find out from your vet what dose of Loratadine you can give a cat. I know my 28-30 lb dog is recommended 5 mg, but I can give her up to 10 mg. Loratadine is the the active drug in alavert and claritin. I use the one that dissolve in the mouth sine they are bigger and less dense, so they're easier to break. You can also use Benadryl, but it makes 'em drowsy, whereas Loratadine is non-drowsy (and 24 hrs). Have you tried the allergy steroid shot form the vet? At my vet, it rus about $40 and lasts 4-6 weeks. I personally vote for loratadine since I can just give it to Kenzie when I take mine (and she is easy to give pills to! I just hand it to her and she takes it no problem! She hears the cupboard and she comes over! EASY! My other dogs you have to stick your finger down their throats!
sickbyc.gif
).

I work for a vet. There are things called "pill pockets" that make most cats easy to pill. Much easier than making them take something they don't want. Some medication you can crush and put in a tiny amount of wet food, fed when the cat is hungry and will finish whole "meatball."
Ask the vet for a dosage on any medication you give your animal. That is part of why you paid them the $110.00. You can call them for advice on dosage and advisability of any "people" medicine, some make animals very sick. Benadryl is effective but it is about a milligram per pound so you want a small amount for a cat, it is usually sold in 25 mg doses which is too large. Your vet weighed your cat and can therefore give you the right dosage.
I usually see them suggest Benadryl for dogs not cats so I think they might have other more effective medications for cats.
Some animals allergies are seasonal and may not be a problem all year. Good luck!

Quote:
My cat has food allergies and the symptoms were putrid, diarrhea and bloating! My dog; however, had seasonal allergies (like everyone it seems in the high desert) and she does the reverse sneezing, red eyes, etc. I'd bet it's seasonal allergies or something similar. Our environment up here is perfect for allergies (dust, mustard, mulberries, cottonwoods, etc)!

Back
Top Bottom