My chick as pipped into aircell but not progressing

Chickie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 13, 2007
I checked my eggs this morning and one had its beak into the aircell 12 hours later you can still see the air cell with just the beak in it. It is cheeping away in there but is this normal as the last time the whole air cell was filled straight away.
Also my other three eggs ready to hatch havent broken into the air cell but the aircell has grown alot in the last 24 hours and has also changed into a funny shape. Is this normal.
If only one does hatch would it be ok kept on its own for three weeks till i hatch some more or will i have to try and find it some company. It would have plenty of human company.
th.gif

Don't mean to sound snippy at all , but you should not be candling right now. Once you raise the humidity during the last 3 days, you need to leave them completely alone. Are they due to hatch right now? Sometimes if the temp was a little low they take a little longer. Some hatch sooner than others. Make sure you humidity is up around 70% and leave the lid closed until you see some chicks hatch. If it is getting several days past time and you find one that has pipped the Shell, then you may have to make some decisions to help.

The motto on the Eggs to Hatch forum is "Step away from the Bator"

Good luck with your hatch let us know how things go.

Jaynie is right, do nothing for now. Very often you can hear them pipped internally for a couple of days. When it gets touchy on helping is when they've pipped externally for more then 24 hours, depending on what hatch date should be, and make no progress.

I have had them pip internally and die. But my feeling about that is that if they could not at least make an external pip then there is something wrong with the peep and that it is for the best.

As Jaynie knows, I help any of my chicks that are externally pipped with very good success.

I have one in here now that I've been listening to for two days, it started zipping yesterday evening and made it completely out before bedtime.

Hi Yes I think your right. This morning one that hadn't even pipped into the air cell last night has externally pipped. It was just upsetting that I lost the last one and it looked perfectly ready but never made it out. I can hear lots of cheeping in the incubator now so I think this lot are fine.
I will do as you say and keep the bator closed.
I will sleep a lot better when these guys are out and healthy.
Thanks for your advice.
he.gif

The first chick has just hatched and there is another on the way. It is so exciting. Will post picture's soon.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom