My chicken escaped an attack and now has an open wound WHAT DO I DO?

Cubbie861

Hatching
Mar 28, 2024
So, today less than an hour ago, one of my 3 hens escaped an attack. We do have dogs, but they were not out at the time. Near the site of the attack, there was a small hole under the fence, barely large enough to fit my foot into. There were feathers EVERYWHERE, and when we went to put them back into the run, we noticed a giant open wound/bite mark on her side. I don't know if I should be quick to take her to a vet, or if I should wait and let it heal. Please help, this could be bad. She does not seem to be in shock, and the wound does not seem to be too deep. She was walking around just fine, and I believe the attacker only left because she was too reluctant to give up. The wound is just under her right wing if anyone wanted to know. I cannot get pictures right now, because she is not an easy bird to catch.
I would also maybe like to know what could have done this
Evidence A: a hole that my foot can barely fit through. (Under fence)
Evidence B: attack seems to be from a very vicious and hard fighter (Feather trail for about 10 feet from the initial attack point)
Evidence C: Wound is about 2 inches In diameter and it is a pretty circular wound
Evidence D: I live in the northern woodlands region of the US, in Indiana. I see foxes, hawks, squirrels, groundhogs, and racoons around all the time.

Last edited:
Sorry about the attack. Can you post any pictures of the hen and the wound? Do you have a rooster with spurs or could the chicken have cut herself on the fencing? Hawks can swoop down and attack chickens on the ground. Raccoons are common predators around here. For wound care, saline or a wound spray such as Vetericyn are good to spray on wounds. Then apply plain Neosporin ointment after spraying twice a day until the wound heals. I would separate her for a couple of days, and then see if the wound is visible to other chickens. A TShirt can sometimes be made to go over the body to hide wounds.

Sorry about the attack. Can you post any pictures of the hen and the wound? Do you have a rooster with spurs or could the chicken have cut herself on the fencing? Hawks can swoop down and attack chickens on the ground. Raccoons are common predators around here. For wound care, saline or a wound spray such as Vetericyn are good to spray on wounds. Then apply plain Neosporin ointment after spraying twice a day until the wound heals. I would separate her for a couple of days, and then see if the wound is visible to other chickens. A TShirt can sometimes be made to go over the body to hide wounds.
I cannot get any pictures right now as it is nighttime. Sun is down. There is almost no way she could've cut herself on the fence because there are no existing holes, and no way to scratch herself on the fences, We do not have a rooster. A hawk has swooped some of our other hens, but never made contact (Except 1, one died to a hawk attack) Also, there were feathers scattered everywhere under a bush, and a cut like she has (Less of a cut, more like a circle of blood.) could almost not even be possible from the bush of that type. Thanks for the advice on wound care though. The hole that whatever it was, was new, and we have patched up other existing holes a while ago.

Back
Top Bottom