my chicken has swollen eye with bubbling liquid

I don't know, but since you bought the Ciloxin eyedrops from 1st State, if I were you I'd go back and ask Peter Brown. He's very knowledgeable and has saved a lot of our birds.
It looks awful. Good luck and maybe someone else will have an idea...we've used the Ciloxin eyedrops before for other things and they are very good.

Any Opinions on this young rooster. He's a 19 week old BLRW. 7 days ago it started as a little mucas from his tear duct. I isolated him and started him on aureomycin at 1 TBS to a gallon For the last week, its only gotten worse. I picked up Tylan 50 and have ordered. Ciloxan Eye Drops from the First State Vet Supply. Today my husband sent me this pic....this happened over night. I plan on cleaning with a cu tip tonight with saline, then taking him off the Aureomycin and starting him on an oral dose of the Tylan (I don't have any needles small enough for him) and I will swab his eyes till clean then apply Neosporin to the eye.

Any recommendations or correction in my plans....this is my first go around with a bad eye like this. It may be pox or something else, he is the only one of 133 showing any signs of sickness. It could be injury as there is no nasal discharge, and his throat is clear... There were no bumps until today...this happened overnight...He was fine last night with only discharge. This was at 342pm today 11-27-2014

It sort of looks like pox to me, but I've also seen Marek's look like that (confirmed by necropsy). Have you checked every square inch for skin abnormalities?

-Kathy

Yes, I have checked him head to toe, its only affected his face. After two days of Tylan 200 orlly at 1cc each 1x day, Neosproian, and Corrid in his water his eye opened, after three days the selling is gone all that remains is the black sore you saw. The bumps completely disappeared. No nasal congestion, or eye dischar ge.....Five other hens have come down with the same thing. After 24 hours of treatment they to are responding the same way.

It started with a small mole like bump around the eye, then the mucas from the eye, then the eye swole shut. I got to three hens before there eyes swole shut, they have completely cleared up, two hens eyes swole shut, and 24 hours later all that's left is a small black sore.

Maybe Dry Pox? A mild case?

I was just looking back over this thread remembering how strange those sores on the the chick's wings were, and wondering if this was somehow related: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/929231/feather-loss-with-sores-that-look-like-puss-pockets
I forgot to go back and follow up on that thread, I found out what happened. I have a small fan in the incubator, when I went to lean it I found blood splatter on the side wall. It all made sense then, somehow the chick got its wing into the fan, it grazed the wing and it got infected. The wing grew bent, the feather growth caused more problems. the chick is fine now growing normally with a slightly deformed wing tip. The fan broke the wing and grazed the skin. I have since fixed the issue so no other chicks were injured.

The eye and conjunctiva are infected. That is not in dispute. Perhaps there is a respiratory infection as well. Before lab work, begin treating with antibiosis empirically now.

For the record, never ever ever put regular household hydrogen peroxide (3%) in any animal's eye. It will burn off all corneal epithelium, down to bowman's layer, and leave it susceptible to the worst opportunistic microbes available. Then you can wind up with a corneal ulcer and blindness. True for humans too.

For now, and speaking only for the eye, apply polysporin, neosporin, erythromycin or bacitracin antibiotic ointment to the affected eye 3 times a day. This can be over-the-counter ointment. It will say not for use in eyes. Use it anyway. Trust me...I'm an eye doc, you can use it.

Brian

Here is a pic

Back
Top Bottom