My chicken is screwed up!

team_realtree

Songster
14 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Tonight I went out to put my 8 rhode island reds in for the night and I noticed only 7 up on the roost. Which was strange because it was pouring rain and there was thunder. Usually my birds go right for the coop when it rains real heavy. So after looking around for a while I found her quietly sitting under my lawn tractor. Also strange...usually when they see me they come running after me.

So I finally got her to come out and she wouldn't make any noise. Then I brought her in the garage and she just started screaming and wouldn't stop. It was obvious this chicken was jacked up! Something wasn't right. SOOO I checked out her be-hind and found this (see pictures).

My 8 birds are incredibly docile and I have NEVER seen one of them pick a fight or peck at one another so I don't think this is from another one pecking at her. But anyways what do you guys think? Sorry for the crappy pictures it was the best I could get with a cell phone. I really don't want to have to put this bird out of her misery but if I did how should I do it? I would prefer something not hands on like neck breaking..could I just shoot her in the head with my rifle? This sucks....
sad.png

If you have to cull I think off with the head is easier. When you lay them back they kinda go to sleep and then the shocking end. I was with my husband when he did some of ours today. I have to say it is pretty dang instant and was not really traumatic. They were pretty calm and never made a noise.

I looked at the pics and its very hard to tell. What I would do first is wash her bottom in warm water really well. You may try to trim feathers from around the site so you can see what you are dealing with. If she is all pecked up back there you may consider neosporin. One of the pics almost looks like maybe there was more damage but it was hard to tell. If her bum has a red bubble, like her vent is pushed out to the outside then you can clean it well and use prep H. I think first things first, clean her up with warm water and trim some feather. Then maybe try to take another pic or describe the wound a bit more

Last edited:
if they get a prolapse the others can pick at it, there are some threads on here about it, im sure if its just a prolapse you can treat it (think super severe hemorrhoids)

uhh i think she is just broody. check to see if there is an egg under your lawn tractor or something egg-like. one of my hens gets broody all the time and will get protective over a tiny wad of tinfoil so she prob just wants to be a mom please dont kill her

Back
Top Bottom