My Chicken Isn't Eating Enough

So yes, I did get it because I felt bad for it, but from this is what the internet shows:
"Naturally, this will depend on the conditions under which they're kept. Pet chickens that are properly cared for can live a relatively long time--longer than dogs, sometimes. It's common for a hen in a backyard setting to live 8-10 years, but we've also heard reports of chickens living as many as 20 years!"

I did a search and Cornish X chickens aren't meat chickens, Cornish Cross chickens are.

the "x" in cornish X is a shortened way to say cross. So yes, what you have is a cornish cross. While you can try your best to give this chicken a good life, I've never seen a cornish X (cornish cross) live for very long at all.

So, um, without me knowing, while I was asleep, my mom decided to return the chicken to the store, and she said she will get the same one next year.....

I thank all of you for the help. I was new to chickens, and didn't know much.
smile.png
sad.png

Sorry to hear that but it's probably for the best. Please, in the future, before you consider getting any pet, make sure your family agrees to you getting the pet, and do your research on what it takes to properly raise the animal before you get it. Best of luck!

Last edited:
So the warmth is not too much of a problem. I did some research on temperature before, and a chicken needs 85°F, and the house temp. is 84-93°F.

Chicken Canoe, it is a Cornish X.

Remember, previously said that the chickens there are not normally kept to get as pets or anything, it is a meat store. They get the chickens and the corn from a farm.

So i'm searching up all the good things I can feed my chicken that I have at home.

Thanks to all the help posted and that will be posted.
smile.png
A baby chick needs 90-95 for the first week but lower by 5F each week. So by 6 weeks they shouldn't need heat at all. Indoors, they would only need heat for about 3 weeks.

So, um, without me knowing, while I was asleep, my mom decided to return the chicken to the store, and she said she will get the same one next year.....

I thank all of you for the help. I was new to chickens, and didn't know much.
smile.png
sad.png

Well, you know more now than you did a couple weeks ago.

By next year, you can talk her into letting you get at least 2 chickens. I always recommend 3 so if one dies, they will still have friends.
Please don't make the mistake of trying to raise one chicken alone.
Also, you should get a breed that will live longer and become a good pet. A Cornish X is not that breed. They have been selected to be butchered by 7 weeks of age. Their fast growth creates leg and heart problems.

Here are 2 excellent breed charts to help you select one or two breeds that are appropriate for your climate and match your personality.
http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html
http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf

A better option for pet chickens would be bantams, they take up much less space and you may be able to sell your mom on it more easily. Over the next year, you can learn much more to make your experience better.
Good luck.
http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/bantam.html

Back
Top Bottom