My Chicken just died

So sorry for your loss. I guess it is better to have love for the animals than not to, but it doesn't make any sense when you just find them dead when they were fine the day before.

again sorry,

Martha

Thanks Martha,

Poppy was killed by a coyote, but we did have one of our younger flock that died for no apparent reason. You're right though, I know she had a beautiful life filled with love, attention and treats! I'm just sad that she isn't here anymore.

Sorry for your loss too. And remember, you are not alone.

Jil

I know this is an old post but man did it help me out!
I just got 11 young birds a week ago and they were doing just fine until this morning one (of course my favorite) was laying there dead. She didn't look like she was hurt or lost a fight with anything, Just laying there face down.
We noticed yesterday that she was starting to nest and I was so excited awaiting a beautiful blue or green egg any day. Needless to say I was crushed this morning and then started really worrying that my other girls may suffer the same fait from some unseen cause.
I am working today but have my mother in law watching over them today and I still want to bring them for a test or something but this Q and A really helped me calm down.

My favorite pet chicken died!!!
hit.gif
I think she died of dehydration. At least she is in heaven eating a bunch of yummy food and having fun. At least we gave our chickens the best life the could have and not one of those factory chickens.

Last edited:
Hey, everyone! I know this is an older thread, but I, too, came home tonight to discover one of my girls had died.
hit.gif
I had 10. 5 RSLs, a RIR, 2 Barred Rocks, an Easter Egger and a Golden Polish. My 5 non-RSLs just turned 2 years old 2 months ago (maybe 3 years...I've lost track LOL) and the 5 RSLs are just over a year and a half, I believe. It was one of the RSLs that died. I had given them some scratch for the first time in about 2 weeks and, of course, they were all over that stuff. Several of them tend to start sneezing after eating the scratch, but she was the only one this time and it seemed to be louder than usual. I didn't think anything of it because it was pretty normal behavior and she wasn't acting strange. In fact, it was one of my Barred Rocks that was acting strange...all puffed up like she had eaten way too much.

My husband and I went out to dinner; left before it got dark so the chickens were still out in their "corral" and we returned home about 2 hours later...after dark and, as usual, my girls had put themselves "to bed" in the coop. My custom is to go out and count them to be sure all of them made it in and then close the chicken run for the night (they free range in the corral during the day).

Anyway, I went out to count the girls and she was laying underneath one of the roosts...clearly gone. The rest of the girls were fine. My husband and I cleared her from the coop and I hope tomorrow morning the rest of the girls will still be fine. From the looks of it, I think she may have suffocated or choked. She looked kind of bluish. Of course, I feel absolutely horrible and wish I had paid more attention, but even if I had, I'm not sure I would have had a clue what to do for her.

Thanks for letting me process via this forum! You all are the best.

It is sad but don't feel guilty. If the hen regurgitated she could have choked. Chooks don't have gag reflexes so they can't recover from choking like humans or other mammals.

Make sure there wasn't anything toxic around so you don't have a repeat but don't beat yourself up about it either. At least it wasn't a gruesome animal attack...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

my 2 pet chickens that i was free ranging got killed by a fox and they were my only chickens and i cant get over that there gone i will miss saying goodnight to them.i only owed them for a few weeks and i saved both from a a farm. they were both sexlinks

love.gif
hit.gif

menice56789 I agree. I have a sister-in-law that can't understand how I deal with life and death on our little farm. I say my chickens worked and had a fulfilled life and died with a full belly and in the sunshine. What else could a chicken ask for.

Last edited:
MusiGal How sad! so sorry. I think probably they gorged and when the grains started swelling in the gut it was too much. But don't feel guilty we all make mistakes and the only reason to be guilty is if you don't learn from it. -I know that's easier said than done. Also sometimes chickens just die. I lost my favorite rooster "King Rooster" and studied his body and searched online for days and couldn't figure it out. I finally just had to say move on. hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom