My chicken laid a sack/bag with an egg inside??

Cake-decorator

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Hi, This was really very different. It was a bag with an egg in side. The shell was still soft and it was a normal egg white and yoke. The sack was almost like a blob. The sack was not the shell. The shell was inside the blob sack. Hope this makes sense. Has somebody experienced this? What was it. I have pictures of it. Thanks for the imput.

My guess is that it is somewhat of a first egg for your hen? They lay weird eggs when they first start. sound like an egg in an egg type thing going on. my first egg was just the blob think without the shell inside so my guess is yours was an egg that didnt come out yet before she formed another egg around it. very unique!! did you catch what breed gave you the odd present?

Chickens lay all kinds of misfires. We just don't get to experience them b/c they don't come in cartons at the store!
big_smile.png

Keep an eye on her & make sure her eggs go back to normal. It's normal to have abnormal eggs every once in a while.

Hi, this is an old thread, but I have a similar problem. I had a similar thing happen except there was a complete egg inside the sac with a hard shell and all. The sac had yolk in it, with multiple layers of whatever made up the sac part. It was laid during the night while she was on the perch, and this laying of abnormal eggs during the night has happened a few times over the past year. Is this a sign of something or is it just more chickens being chickens?

Hello,

Well a similar thing has been happening to me. I have four chickens in all. One of them a Sussex Star is laying eggs or misfires at the moment. I have been finding lots of soft shell or cracked eggs around the garden. Today she was in the coop for about 40 minutes while i dropped my daughter at nursery. When I returned home there were two eggs in different areas of the lawn. One was soft shell and cracked and one was a bobbly soft shell intact. I wasn't sure if my two young babcocks were just dropping them on the lawn until I watched my Sussex Star walking around the garden and then all of a sudden plop. Out came a double sack like object. Just plopped on the ground and looked like something out of Alien.

Its like two spheres stuck together all gloopy with a fairly strong but silicone like sack. I'll post a picture in a short while just in case anyone is interested.

She now gone back into the nesting box. Maybe she has a back log? weird.

do you have a picture of it, i think the same thing happened to one of our chickens, trying to figure it out, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom