My chicken sang the egg song!

Question, I have clay eggs in the nest boxes, and three of my hens are laying. Today one went into the nest box and just sat on the clay egg. I left her alone waited for her to come out, and when she did I went to get the egg. She didn't lay an egg, and the clay egg was warm. Don't think she's broody. Should I take the clay eggs out of the boxes?
they are good to prevent them from eating the eggs but once they realise they cant eat them you dont need them in there any more. If they start laying then eating the eggs pop them in again for a few days and then remove them again no harm in repeating this until they learn but I would assume theyv learnt it by now :) do keep them handy just incase of egg eating and incase one goes broody and you want to keep her broody when ur awaiting eggs

One of my girls was using the other day and I went out there I didn't see any eggs. It was storming when I got home yesterday so bad I wasn't able to go out to the coop. We then heard the song again today. When I went out to clean and feed them there were 4 small eggs! Not sure which girl is laying and not to sure if the eggs can be eaten since I don't know which egg was played on what day. They are 4 1/2 months old, hatched around March 20th. This is our first time ever raising chickens so I am not to sure about this.

As long as an egg doesn't float it's fine to eat. I check mine all the time no matter what the weather as its a good idea to check the chicken wire if they are in a run incase a predator has started naming it's way through plus if u leave eggs in there it can be a temptation for the chickens to play with and maybe eat. Hope this helps

I have four Red Sex Links born about the third week of March. One has a good comb and waddle, one has great tail feathers and a broad back end, one of them has been singing the song for the past few days, and tonight I saw one squat. On a whim, I checked the nests and, low and behold, there it was - a nice medium egg in a corner of one of the nest boxes. To be sure, I will be out early in the morning to see what treasures I have! I am so proud of them! This is so much fun!

My BR was singing and squatting for over a week prior to laying her first egg. She starting laying a little over a week ago, and is not regular yet. Her eggs are getting larger, and I can recognize the shape of hers. Plus she's been laying double yokers! I started getting another small egg about a week ago, also not regular. I have not idea who its from, but my RR is squatting, so it may be her. My leghorn is also singing and squatting, but still no egg. Hmm...

does anyone know where to put holes in an incubator or where? And where do we pt an incuabtor

Hi. I put my incubator in the garage. Cool in there but it's a very stable cool.
I don't know about your incubator but mine already had the holes in it. 1 for the thermometer and a tiny breather pretty well dead center on top.
The incubator is just a small one that can hold 2&1/2 dozen large chicken eggs or a whole bunch more quail eggs or a dozen turkey or goose eggs.
It's older (had it about 10 years) and well used but still works. Can't remember offhand what the name of it is.
I hope this helps a bit.
HAGD

One of my girls was using the other day and I went out there I didn't see any eggs. It was storming when I got home yesterday so bad I wasn't able to go out to the coop. We then heard the song again today. When I went out to clean and feed them there were 4 small eggs! Not sure which girl is laying and not to sure if the eggs can be eaten since I don't know which egg was played on what day. They are 4 1/2 months old, hatched around March 20th. This is our first time ever raising chickens so I am not to sure about this.

I'm assuming your "not sure about" eating the eggs.
I'm almost positive that a human can eat a 4 day old egg.
Unless of course you've had some real drastic temperature fluctuations in the nesting area.
To be safe just break them into plate so you can inspect them.
That being said we are a pretty hardy breed out here.
Congrats on hearing "the song".
HAGD

I got mine at the Christmas tree shop 2 for $1 the hens love the privacy

Back
Top Bottom