My Chickens are Dying

ericjs

Hatching
May 27, 2016
I had 65 R.I.R and White Leghorns. I'm down to 40 and most of them are sick. It started about 4 weeks ago, I lost one then another a few days later. I didn't notice any symptoms the first two weeks. They became very lethargic and were not laying or eating very much at all. After about two weeks I noticed one making sounds while it was breathing and I could see her beak was swollen a little. Now I notice several more having the same symptoms. No blood in poop, it looks normal. Things I have tried since I lost the second one about 4 weeks ago.
1. Worming
2. OXYTETRACYCLINE powder in their drinking water
3. Rubbed their head with warm VetRx
4. Sprayed with poultry lice spray
5. Corid liquid mixed in drinking water
6. I gave each one a shot of .5 cc penicillin

I have not found the answer yet and I have read numerous threads to try and find something that will work.
I don't no of any vets in my area that will look a chickens.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

The next time one dies the best thing to do is have a necropsy done. Then you will know. If they are dying quickly it might be ILT. If they are just hanging on, and most are not dying, it could be CRD or any of several respiratory illnesses chickens can get. You could try Oxytet in the water, 2 tsp per gallon. But really you need something stronger, like Baytril, probably. Separate the sick ones! If it is a virus, antibiotics will not do anything except prevent secondary infections. You need to find out what it is.

Back
Top Bottom