My chickens don’t like my Americana new flock

a1n1g1u1s

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 31, 2016
Powell, Wyoming
I have a new flock, they’re about 5 months, 4 chickens, 2 golden Wyandotte, 1 Barred rock, and an Americana. The Americana is last in the peck order, and the other chickens keep her at bay, or the Americana is staying away from them. The Americana won’t go in the coop to eat hardly at all until night when it’s time to roost. Is this normal, should I be doing anything. I am making sure to throw out pellets for her outside, although the other chickens come running over a gobble up the food too. She also hasn’t started laying eggs yet like the others have. Wondering if this is some kind of shunning from the other chickens. I have two feeders and 3 nesting boxes.

Attachments

• 1E2B2FF1-904C-4B64-BE0D-E2B99519CB3A.jpeg
    1E2B2FF1-904C-4B64-BE0D-E2B99519CB3A.jpeg
    778.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 3B9A3597-E192-4FFB-86E7-3CE386E6F2D0.jpeg
    3B9A3597-E192-4FFB-86E7-3CE386E6F2D0.jpeg
    569.2 KB · Views: 6
All the others are laying? Until she starts up, she won't really be part of the "big girl's" club and that may be part of the reason they're treating her differently.

Do you have just the one feeder? Having multiple feeders with clutter in between them to visually break line of sight is helpful to ensure all the birds get a chance to eat undisturbed.

Yes they will do that usually until she lays eggs. They are elitist that way, haha.

Definitely feed in a couple areas for a while. It can be a challenge to juggle them, little ravenous dinosaurs that they are.

Since she stays separate from the others, you could let all the other hens out and shut the door behind them while she stays behind,then you can feed her inside undisturbed before letting her out. Had to do that for my EE mosaic hen for a while, and when she began to lay they messed with her less.

Is there one hen in particular that singles her out, or are they all pretty equally picking on her?

All the others are laying? Until she starts up, she won't really be part of the "big girl's" club and that may be part of the reason they're treating her differently.

Do you have just the one feeder? Having multiple feeders with clutter in between them to visually break line of sight is helpful to ensure all the birds get a chance to eat undisturbed.
I have two feeder and I also throw pellets in the run were the Americana hangs out to be sure she is eat some food. Good to know. Yes she kind of avoids the others. I may put another feeder up out side too. Thanks.

Yes they will do that usually until she lays eggs. They are elitist that way, haha.

Definitely feed in a couple areas for a while. It can be a challenge to juggle them, little ravenous dinosaurs that they are.

Since she stays separate from the others, you could let all the other hens out and shut the door behind them while she stays behind,then you can feed her inside undisturbed before letting her out. Had to do that for my EE mosaic hen for a while, and when she began to lay they messed with her less.

Is there one hen in particular that singles her out, or are they all pretty equally picking on her?

Good idea. At first it was one hen, she is at the top of the pecking order, but now it’s 2nd hen at the top who also bothers her. But neither one peck her or hurt her, the just run her off. The third hen is chill with her, and she’ll hang out with sometimes. They are funny little creatures.

Back
Top Bottom