My Chickens Eat Stinkbugs!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!

My bearded dragon loves to eat them (don't have any chickens:( For those of you who don't know what they are, here are two photos I took of them. One photo is of the young, the other is an adult.

101.jpg

A bunch of young, they are lighter then the adults

1052.jpg

Adult, sorry, it's not the best picture. They were on my zucchini plants, and reproducing in the dead vegetation in the compost bin. I think the adult in that photo is laying an egg capsule. That is a juvi next to it.

Last edited:
We don't have stinkbugs, but we have oriental lady beetles. They look like a ladybug, but more orange. They sting and also stink when you crush them. Does anyone know if they will harm chickens. We get overrun with them in the summer and they get in the attic and drop out all winter when they get warm. I hope my girls can snack on them this year.

man, what was it with all of the stinkbugs this year in MD? i have never seen 1/15th as many in any other year in my entire life...i wonder if they come in swarms every few years like the cacatas do. My chickens wont touch them...but thanks, i'm alittle optimistic...release your chickens!
ya.gif

Quote:
Howdy! I am in Myersville, and the stink bugs that are not at your house are at mine! I will happily support my chickens stink bug habit if they want to eat these nasty little buggers!

For years we would only find a spider or a few ants in the house. Last year we had an infestation of earwigs and then millipedes, now over the winter we saw an awful lot of stinkbugs in the house. Makes you wonder what is going on. I will happily let a couple of chickens into the house to feast if I have the same problem again this year. I really can't stand the earwigs the most.

E

I hate those darn bugs !!! I had never seen one until just before fall . They were everywhere !!! We have tried everything to keep them out of the house but nothing worked. Its good to know that the chickens will eat them cause I'm sure we will have plenty for the girls lol

There was a story on my local news this year. I cant remember why they said there were so many this year, but there supposedly some scientific reason.

Quote:
Oh, chickens LOVE earwigs! I discovered this when I picked up an old strawberry bag laying on the ground that had potting soil still in it. The nest of earwigs scattered, I shrieked and threw the thing. Chickens came running and went in two directions: directly to where the nest had been under the strawberry bag and over to the bag itself. They scarfed down those nasty things SO fast!

Now when I turn over something, or move something and see even one, I call the chickens and PECK! the bugs are gone in a flash.

Quote:
Oh, chickens LOVE earwigs! I discovered this when I picked up an old strawberry bag laying on the ground that had potting soil still in it. The nest of earwigs scattered, I shrieked and threw the thing. Chickens came running and went in two directions: directly to where the nest had been under the strawberry bag and over to the bag itself. They scarfed down those nasty things SO fast!

Now when I turn over something, or move something and see even one, I call the chickens and PECK! the bugs are gone in a flash.

ditto!

but I'm not reasonably certain there are any earwigs left in my lot..........

I love chickens that garden with me! Anytime we see some nasty heap of bug, we call "Here, chick chick chick" and they all come running! And they are still gorging themselves on stinkbugs!

Back
Top Bottom