my chickens have gape worm - help please

joyful-homemaker

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
central ohio
I just got a confirmation of gape worm from the most wonderful chicken vet. I need to know if anyone here has had experience with this and if so what do I do. I have wazine but not sure it will help. DE is what the vet recomended and also panera granuals for horses but didn't know the dose. Can anyone help me please?

If you google gape worm, you can click on a couple of YouTube videos of chickens with gape worm. It's sad to watch, but it helps to know what the behavior looks like.

Wazine will not help. All I know is ivermectin injectable (given orally). That should kill them in one treatment. Not sure if eprinex pour on is the same, I know it is made by the same company. Maybe someone else will know.

Ivomec Injectable (ivermectin)

Ivomec injectable is used for treatment of worms in your fowl, and can be used to help keep external parasites, like Red Mites, down too.

Dosage

You will need a syringe to get ivomec out of the bottle, and you can use it to apply the dosage listed below by holding the birds mouth open, and dripping it into the back of its throat. Another method is to apply the correct dosage to a piece of bread, then feed it to the bird you are treating.

* 5 to 7 drops orally for adult size birds.
* 3 to 5 drops orally for bantam size birds.

It is recommended to worm your fowl on a regular basis, and this method will need to be repeated every 2 to 3 months to keep worms under control. In severe cases, you may want to retreat the bird 10 days after the initial treatment, to make sure you take care of the problem.

Ivomec can be purchased at most farm supply stores in the cattle section.

Warning

Take care not to eat the eggs after treating with Ivomec until the treated fowl has laid at least five to seven eggs.

DE wont help at all, Gapworms are located in the trachea(windpipe) and are blood feeders..fenbendazole, Valbazen or Ivomec is your best bet...........

Hello:
Now that you have a confirmed case of gapeworm, could you PLEASE inform us of the symptoms you have experienced. Also, people have told me that they actually can see the worms if they open thier chickens mouths and look. I have used injectable ivermectin on horses. I used it orally without a hitch. On chickens, i do not know. There is the eprenix (spelling) procuct that you let absorb through the skin. What does your Vet say??

Yes I will share my story. The sad thing is when the hatchery had me treat my birds for coccidiosis years ago, Im now certain that this is what my birds had instead. I lost so many birds needlessly:(
Anyhow - what about panacur horse wormer. The vet thinks this will work but does not have a dose for me. anyone ever try this?

I cannot see the worms in their throat, but getting a chicken to hold still while I look down its throat is not working for me. I did see the worms in their stool weeks ago, but thought it was blood instead. They shake their heads constantly too.

Last edited:
Research gape worms and their life cycle. Without looking it up, I think maybe they incubate in earth worms and snails and such and can continue to thrive for years in the same location. May have to move their coop/range area. Good Luck!

Umm, this post is 2.5 years old.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom