My cockatiel is laying more eggs than my chickens!

michellerene

Songster
12 Years
Apr 23, 2007
Graham, WA
Of course, my chickens are only about 7 weeks old, so it's not too surprising!
big_smile.png

We recently adopted "Rosie" from an elderly lady who had to move into an assisted living facility... this silly bird has laid 2 eggs in the last 3 days! She sits on it & tries to protect it, but as soon as I take it out, she seems to forget all about it.
roll.png
Anyway... wish I knew someone around here who wants to breed pet birds, 'cause she needs a mate!

Cockatiels are not like chickens. Laying eggs is very hard on them. Add some eggshell to the feed to replace the calcium. Don't remove the egg right away as it will make the bird lay another to replace it.

Has the bird always laid? Are the eggs hollow?

Don

I was told she lays eggs when I adopted her. I have no idea if the eggs are hollow or not. Good to know about he egg shell. I don't think she will eat it, though. She only eats millet.
hmm.png
How long should I leave the egg in there?

Last edited:
When you pick up the egg you will know by the weight if it's hollow or not. I know the eggs are small so break one open if you need too.

As for when to take it out a few days should be fine. The bird should start ignoring it once it realizes it's not fertile.

I'm concerned about the bird eating only millet. Millet is more of a treat and has very little nutrition. Cockatiels like small seed so if she doesn't like a cockatiel mix you can try a parakeet mix(small seeds).

My conure started laying eggs after 13 years. Heck, I always thought it was male, her name is Vinny(now Vincenza). Something triggered her to start laying. We had just moved into a new(old) house, bought her a nice big cage, and put her in the kitchen instead of my old den. Plus we moved further into the woods with more wild birds around chirping. I moved things around, dropped the temp a bit and changed her cage layout. She stopped laying. It was wierd.

Enjoy the bird. Cockatiels are brilliant and friendly birds. She should be making a fine addition to your flock/family.
lol.png

We have a Cockatiel too! They are such friendly little birds. His name is "Teeko" My 6 year old son takes him to the store on his shoulder sometimes.
big_smile.png

Congratulations on having Rosie come live with you! It was very nice of you to take her in. It must have eased her previous owner's mind, to know she would have a nice home.

Yes, definitely leave the eggs in there until she stops laying and then later abandons and ignores them. I would offer her some extra calcium. You could sprinkle it over her seeds or try putting a cuttlebone in her cage.

As PurpleChicken recommended, try to get her to eat other foods. A variety of seeds, some pellets and a variety of fresh fruits, vegetables and greens would be very good for her.

Back
Top Bottom