My coop build - a raised coop with an enclosed run underneath. PIC HEAVY - still in progress

I love it! Great job, and nice color!
thumbsup.gif

Wow...page 5 of this thread and I'm not done yet!
th.gif

We got the side doors on the run, the back on the coop, the nest boxes on and VERY securely attached to the coop, the front of run 2x4 that opens for major cleanouts.
I made the pics a bit smaller, but apparently you can click on them to make them bigger.

E testing out the nest boxes once the latches were finally on. Yup, fits one baby per box just fine!

"Honey, stand by the coop to help me show the size!"

"Okay...now try to look a little less military...pretend you're drinking your beer or something!"

lau.gif
OK Mr Salesman, I walked right into that one!
See the 2x4 E pushed open? I will have to fix that. Right now it is not opening the right area because I moved the nest box location. oops

As you can see the run would easily hold 4 babies....er...I mean chickens.

The back piece - yup it needs doors...they'll come in time!

I then took the weekend off thinking I'd get back to work Monday. Only, on Monday I sprained my thumb! So 3 more days later I am trying to catch up to finish on time!

ETA: hubby is 6ft2" so you can see this ended up a good 2 feet taller than I initially told hubby it'd be
hide.gif
He's such a good sport with my "Honey can we..."s, they never turn out to be as simple as I plan on them being!

Last edited:
What paint colors are you using? The blue is pretty much exactly what I had in mind for ours!
Sorry for the delay. We had a bad car accident last week, thankfully all 5 of us could walk away and our damage is minor compared to the car that hit us. Anyway, it's delayed me in replying and posting more on the progress of the coop.

The colour is: Valspar (Lowes) Nautical 5007-9C
The guy mixing it was laughing and relieved it was the coop color and not our actual house color lol! Be warned, semi gloss may be easier to clean according to all reports, but it does stick together a bit in areas when painted sections overlap.

I've done more on the coop but I can't post more right now. Back with more as soon as I can. Hopefully by the time our minivan is back from repairs I'll be ready to load up and go get our girls!

Sorry for the delay. We had a bad car accident last week, thankfully all 5 of us could walk away and our damage is minor compared to the car that hit us. Anyway, it's delayed me in replying and posting more on the progress of the coop.

The colour is: Valspar (Lowes) Nautical 5007-9C
The guy mixing it was laughing and relieved it was the coop color and not our actual house color lol! Be warned, semi gloss may be easier to clean according to all reports, but it does stick together a bit in areas when painted sections overlap.

I've done more on the coop but I can't post more right now. Back with more as soon as I can. Hopefully by the time our minivan is back from repairs I'll be ready to load up and go get our girls!

Thanks for the answer. I am glad to hear you all walked away from the accident and will be keeping you all in my thoughts.

Could I ask how many gallons it took? Hubs is trying to tell me it is going to take at least 3 gallons and I think he is off his rocker. (Our coop isn't that big)

Thanks for the answer. I am glad to hear you all walked away from the accident and will be keeping you all in my thoughts.

Could I ask how many gallons it took? Hubs is trying to tell me it is going to take at least 3 gallons and I think he is off his rocker. (Our coop isn't that big)
hugs.gif
Thank you.

Okay, the paint. I am not QUITE done yet but I have little enough left to feel safe telling you the following. Bear in mind I have hardly painted anything before, so there may have been ways to make things go further or better etc.

My coop is 6x3ft I painted inside and outside all wall pieces, I also painted all studs once they were in place, as well as the roof frame/joists. Nest box was also painted inside and out. Pretty much the only thing that got 2 coats was the nest box (which was what was painted first) and then, if I noticed that an area I'd painted was showing a tiny bit of the primer, then I gave it a quick and thin extra coat in that spot. I used brushes not rollers for almost the entire thing, the only rollers used were 3" style used by the kids on the nest box primer....i prefer brushes it seems.

I will either finish or come within 1/2" of the bottom of the can of a gallon of primer. The studs didn't require that much but the plywood seemed to require a lot to cover it, almost like it sucked in it in lol! I did 1 coat of primer and if one area wasn't coated as thick as the rest I didn't worry about it. I did use extra coats over the areas of plywood that had black words stamped on them as it seemed to leech through easily.

With the paint I bought a gallon of the blue and a quart of the green. I have used maybe an 1/8th of the green so far, I'll use more when I add a bit more painted somethings onto the finished coop. The gallon of blue, well, I'll have to remove the sure pour lid (best invention EVER) and peek, but I will definitely have enough to finish the coop and touch up the odd spots I've noticed that got scraped as we put up the roof, or needed an extra coat in an area or two and I hadn't noticed till now. I'd bet I'll still have some leftover after that too. Not much, but enough for odd touch ups I'm sure.

If you do multiple coats you might need more, but I found as long as I was putting the primer on well, it didn't require as much paint compared to the primer to cover an area. I was not skimping on the paint as I put it on, because I didn't want to waste time going back for a second coat. So while I didn't ladle it on, i certainly didn't skimp on the paint either. I used enough to coat the area and not see any white from the primer.

If I do this over again one day, I'd like to try semi gloss inside the coop (for clean up) and everything else in a flat paint.

I know, an essay, but I hope it helped!

Oh and I never even realized your location! My friend used to live on Miramar base and I used to live on Camp Pendleton until a few months ago!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom