My coop project! With words! And Pictures!

Pent

Songster
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
I've always been handy, and I've always wanted chickens. It naturally followed that I would build the most well thought out, beautiful coop ever! Ok, I'm lying. Its a chicken coop, people. I'm on a budget.
My plan was simple. 4x4 cube, with a roof. Two entire walls would be doors, on opposite sides, so cleaning will be a breeze. Just push it through! I'll also need a nest box, naturally, and a window or two, a base to keep it all up off the ground, perhaps some nice trim and pretty paint, fancy roofing and.... and its not really a simple build anymore, is it? Well, with these plans in mind, I set to work!

my 2x3s for lightweight, yet stable construction.

Me in my horrendous coop building attire, screwing hinges into place. My god, those pants... A few steps missing, I know. I'm terrible! Any questions, I can answer.

Dad, lending his expertise and screwing the door shut, because I didn't buy latches yet.

Coop in place because its getting too heavy to move, and our dog, photobombing. Hi, Bailey! The run will extend down the hill, you see how the coop looks like its about to run away? That was to keep it level on the hill. Just put a level on it, lifted it, and nailed two-by-fours to the legs when it was level.

Pop door! Worked out really well, because the tongue and groove flooring I'm using for siding had a few pieces that were too short. So I just glued them together and screwed the ends into the wall, then secured with the top piece.
Pop door from the inside! Does it look too short? I almost made it another board space higher, but this was better for my materials.
Some of my peeps, outside enjoying the sun and waiting, erm, patiently? for their big coop.

Another pic of them enjoying their temporary run. Its a kittywalk, but works great for my chicks.
Indoors they live here. It was once a bird cage, after it was a ferret cage.

Looking good so far. Yes, the pop door looks a little small. Your small chicks will be big chickens before you know it.

Wow! There are words and pictures!

Really nice setup. I can tell you are going to enjoy your chickens!

Me in my horrendous coop building attire, screwing hinges into place. My god, those pants... A few steps missing, I know. I'm terrible! Any questions, I can answer.

I have a quick question. Where did you get those horrible coop building pants?! Haha, just kidding, kind of...

Looks good so far. Just got my run finished a few days ago and my 6 week olds are loving their new found freedom. Keep at it and and lets see the progress. Maybe put on some better pants in the next installment though! Kidding, but seriously, those pants...

Last edited:
I like the look of the tongue and grove boards for the walls. Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow for something that looks quite that nice. Ply
wood it is lol

Yes, and the tongue and groove works well for wether protection if the tongue part is facing up. This helps to keep water from collecting in the groove and sheds the water acting as a lap joint. Plus it does look nice too.

I have a quick question. Where did you get those horrible coop building pants?! Haha, just kidding, kind of...

Looks good so far. Just got my run finished a few days ago and my 6 week olds are loving their new found freedom. Keep at it and and lets see the progress. Maybe put on some better pants in the next installment though! Kidding, but seriously, those pants...
The pants were free, and warm, so really I wasn't going to be picky about color. And really, sweat pants are the only way to go when coop building. Unless its, you know, July.
I like the look of the tongue and grove boards for the walls. Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow for something that looks quite that nice. Ply
wood it is lol
I got most of them free, leftover flooring project from my parents. I've just got to get another package or two now. Worth it for the look; three neighbors have to look at this thing, plus myself.
Yes, and the tongue and groove works well for wether protection if the tongue part is facing up. This helps to keep water from collecting in the groove and sheds the water acting as a lap joint. Plus it does look nice too.
Yeah, that's how I did it, tongue up. I'll also seal it with paint once its done, so should be pretty snug in there.

Back
Top Bottom