My Crop Tube Feeding Journey With My Bird (Pics For Visuals- VERY detailed Post)

Pics
I need some help..I have a sick lady. just over 2 weeks ago I noticed she wasn't looking herself so brought her in, saw an adult roundworm come out on poo. Put wazine17 in water for a day as directed. Not sure how much she drank. Kept her in with me a few more days and saw some improvement. She rejoined my flock of 17 outdoors. I re-treated everyone with the wazine17 a second time 12 days after 1st dose. About a week passed and I noticed she was droopy again and limping a little and appears to be panting to breath occasionally. So, in she came... I dosed her (4 drops from syringe) with pour on . Again, seemed considerably better in 2days. Last night, she did not want to roost and is back indoors with me. She has definitely lost weight during this process and am concerned she's not getting enough water and food intake. She did eat a little sweet potato, milk & cracked corn but seems very week, only stands for a few minutes at a time. Poo is runny whitefish yellow with a little bit of green clumps. Do you think I need to keep worming her, tube feed, treat with an antibiotic, ... ???? Her name is Bonnie and super sweet! No vets around here see chickens...Bonnie & I need some help! Thanks!

She definitely needs to be inside where it's warm (80° to 85°) and tubed water, then water and baby bird food.

-Kathy

Belle isn't doing well. Her crop is still somewhat full from last night feeding. I tubed her this morning with pedialyte and some came back up it was then that I Felt her crop, I should have checked prior but I was in a hurry and didn't think.. She is panting and just seems uncomfortable. Her poops are runny and are green. I'm really sad. I think we're going to euthanize her today as I just can't see her suffer anymore and this is not an easy decision. We plan on doing the co2 method as it seems very humane. I'd like to send her for necropsy so if this shows up again we/I will have an idea of what's going on. Boy this is hard. This girl is so sweet. I guess this is something we as chicken owners all have to go through, I just didn't think I'd have to go through it so soon as she's only 6 mo.old and never got to lay an egg.. Thank you Kathy for all of your guidance it was a learning experience that I will keep with me.

Kathy, when sending off for a necropsy what do you say is in the box , if I' m asked. Also is the shipping free when using the labs fed ex acct. or is there a charge? Thnaks.

Kathy, when sending off for a necropsy what do you say is in the box , if I' m asked. Also is the shipping free when using the labs fed ex acct. or is there a charge? Thnaks.

If asked I say it's medical supplies, but they don't usually ask. UC Davis let's CA residents use the FedEx # and they send us bill, which you can pay by phone with a credit card, but sometimes they forget to bill you, lol. Still waiting for the last one.

-Kathy

CAHFS Tulare. I'm very near San Diego county, very far south, so not within driving distance. I need to check if there are any closer to me , it's just so convenient that you've have done all the homework for me as to where and how to send, ;) I do have one more question, I have given one dose of safeguard to the rest of my girls, should I give them the three day dose then the last dose in 10 days? I don't want to have to worry that I'm not doing enough. I have one girl who is acting off but poop is normal, I gave her a warm bath and checked her vent, I have her inside with a heater near her. I really hope this is nothing...sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom