My Crop Tube Feeding Journey With My Bird (Pics For Visuals- VERY detailed Post)

Pics

Here's our eggs as of yesterday, Kathy!!
Aren't they pretty??

Here is a picture of Livie I just took two days ago!! You can see how much weight she's gained already!!

And lastly, my Daisy Dukes!! She's HUGE actually!! Eats like a horse!! This chicken REALLY lives to EAT!! Lol

Kathy,
Hope you enjoyed my pics..
Great pictures!

-Kathy

I know this is a VERY Old post, but its the 1st 1that gives me confidence to help he this way.
She has been slipping further n further and truthfully I'm not sure how she's even alive still.
Too long a story to go into other than she had very lg egg she was trying to pass and the males decided to all jump on her and it broke inside but I didn't find that out til days later when she pooped the worst green water with white crumbles and she went paralized on 1 side.
I've been force feeding her pedialyte brebiotics
her &got injectable BVitams to give her something but there's literally nothing to inject into.
I can't order anything to help her becduse I don't have a script from a vet.
Iwas

Given Clindamycin 150mg pills (no giver names given...) and have started giving injections which have lowered her fever and taken the green out of her poop. She drinks crazy lots but only in the evening no matter how I try.
However she has stopped all eating. No matter what I give her. Shes nothing but bones and no matter what I can't loose her now, she's as good as being my own baby.
She still is paralized on her lower right side but she isn't giving up so neither can I.
She's a 13mo old Barred rock that can't even weigh 1 lb with her diaper on.
I need to know where to get what I need, boot just for her but for the 17hens and 4roosters that I've removed her from.
The infection is getting better bit some things still very wrong.

Last edited:
Sorry about wording and all but either this site or my new phone keep changing things.
I hope that you can figure out what I'm saying and what my Little Lady needs.

I went to North 40 and our Feed store locally and they have little to nothing except the B Vitamin injections I bought that are listed for cattle and swine.She won't last long without further intervention.

One final note... I have limited resorces here. I have done more for for this hen than any of my numerous animals and Icant seem to find the start of the actual problem to fix it, just all the isdues since it started that Ive been able to fix... Im out of options except tube feeding.
I have used the vinegar, the Performance Poultry with bits and probiotics, human antibiotics, epsomme salts, warm baths (to get the green stuff with white hard crumbles flushed out) crushed and force fed my personal vitamins, molasses, pedialyte, yogurt... Everything on her.
She's stopped getting worse but she needs more to get better.
All I can find in this small town for mites etc is a Y-TEX GardenStar Garden &Poultry Dust with Permethrin. And so far, NOTHING for worms.

If this site gives the option to msg me privately, please tell me where I can go.

Thank you
Mamma Bear

Last edited:
wow! I a. Sorry to hear about your hen. Your greatest chance would be tubing her and getting her hydrated. She also needs antibiotics. If you can get your hands on baytril, that would be great, but you probably have to order it online, which it sounds like your hen may not have that kind of time. That being said baytril is banned in poultry, so you need to research it if you want to use it. Your best bet right now is to learn to tube feed and get her hydrated. It's really important to get her hydrated, don't worry about food right now. I am not sure why she is paralyzed, that could be a whole other issue, but you should focus on getting her the basics.

I have had to order the cath/tube feeding supplies & have in the interim been force feeding (1/2 cc syringe fulls) her as best I can. I thought all was lost for her til her outing in the yard with me today.
No there was no major change, but... She ate grasses & insects everywhere within her reach. No, not enough to get her back to healthy... But, enough to give me hope for a chance.

If I can do this cath tube feeding like you both say when the supplies arrive, I think if she at least get her health, then, "maybe" I can find a vet or lab that will take her stool & "just maybe..."
I can fix what it is. I want the antibiotic you mentioned, but it's not anywhere to be found here. As of tomorrow morning (May 23) she will have been forced the Clindamycin I got form "a friend" for 10 days. I had thought 4-5 days in it was the answer, til 2 days ago, her poo started to get "green spots" (but not all green like before) again & the stink... So, I'm trying a version of wormer, but it's not the stuff I See you all recommending (it's just not avail around here...) This is just the last resort, the only possible thing I can think of that "may" have been the cause of the "initial backing up in her"
the thing that caused the, "Back up, The egg not passing, Then (because of the roosters) the Egg breaking inside, Then the infection & then the High fever (& possibly the cause of her paralysis_)to what she is today. Please help me find the Baytril on line if you can because, I know the standard time for antibiotics is 7-10 days & I already decided, today being the 10th day I would have to discontinue the (borrowed human antibiotics) fixed or not.

Thank you for replying. There have only been 2 real replies to help us over the last few weeks of my asking & I thank you & DarleneE for getting me this far & caring enough to do & say what you have. I'm hoping, after todays happenings in the yard that maybe... just maybe it's not for nothing. I hope to be sho\wing pictures of a happier, healthier hen in the future. Again, thank you both so much! You have no idea how this has helped me get the confidence to even, just order these supplies.

Momma Bear

I'm so sorry to hear of all of your troubles! I haven't had a chance to read through everything yet but here is what I can offer you so far. casportpony helped me tremendously with tube feeding and obtaining Baytril. They both saved my Ducks life. I can't speak to chickens at all as I only have ducks.

Where I found Baytril- I got my initial doses (injectable) from my vet. I then ordered some on line to have on hand just in case. The generic form of Baytril is called Enrotron. I ordered Enrotron 100 mg/ml from Mercasystems.com. It cost me $41.80 including shipping.

Where to have a fecal exam done- You can ask a regular dog and cat vet to do it. That's what I did when I didn't have an avian vet near by and needed one done asap. They were happy to do it. While it is probably ideal to have an avian vet perform it because they are more aware of fowl inflictions a regular vet can look and let you know if they see something. My dog and cat vet was able to diagnose cappilaria worms for me. It costs around $15. I later had my avian vet do a fecal to be on the safe side. It was also $15. By then the cappilaria was cleared up but he found a case of coccidiosis.

Tube Feeding- I was also able to buy a flexible French catheter from my dog and cat vet.

My duck went off of food too. I tried syringe feeding for a while because I was scared to tube feed. It wasn't enough. No where near enough! Also,syringe feeding can be dangerous. If any liquid goes down the wrong hole they can aspirate (liquid in lungs) and cause pneumonia. That happened to me, which is why he ended up needing the Baytril.

Good luck! I hope she is okay. Sounds like she has a really great Mamma! Hang in there!!!

I have had to order the cath/tube feeding supplies & have in the interim been force feeding (1/2 cc syringe fulls)  her as best I can. I thought all was lost for her til her outing in the yard with me today.
No there was no major change, but... She ate grasses & insects everywhere within her reach. No, not enough to get her back to healthy... But, enough to give me hope for a chance.

If I can do this cath tube feeding like you both say when the supplies arrive, I think if she at least get her health, then, "maybe" I can find a vet or lab that will take her stool &  "just maybe..."
I can fix what it is. I want the antibiotic you mentioned, but it's not anywhere to be found here. As of tomorrow morning (May 23) she will have been forced the Clindamycin I got form "a friend" for 10 days. I had thought 4-5 days in it was the answer, til 2 days ago, her poo started to get "green spots" (but not all green like before) again & the stink...  So, I'm trying a version of wormer, but it's not the stuff I See you all recommending (it's just not avail around here...) This is just the last resort, the only possible thing I can think of that "may" have been the cause of the "initial backing up in her"
the thing that caused the, "Back up, The egg not passing, Then (because of the roosters) the Egg breaking inside, Then the infection & then the High fever (& possibly the cause of her paralysis_)to what she is today. Please help me find the Baytril on line if you can because, I know the standard time for antibiotics is 7-10 days & I already decided, today being the 10th day I would have to discontinue the (borrowed human antibiotics) fixed or not. 

Thank you for replying. There have only been 2 real replies to help us over the last few weeks of my asking & I thank you & DarleneE for getting me this far & caring enough to do & say what you have.  I'm hoping, after todays happenings in the yard that maybe... just maybe it's not for nothing. I hope to be sho\wing pictures of a happier, healthier hen in the future.   Again, thank you both so much! You have no idea how this has helped me get the confidence to even, just order these supplies.  

Momma Bear

How is your hen?? Sorry I have been out of town. Do you still need help getting baytril? If you do choose to give baytril, there is a 30 day withdrawal period for eggs. I don't eat my hens, so if you do, I'm not sure of the withdrawl tor meat. I hope your hen pulls through. Lord knows I have been in your situation plenty of times, and this website is where you hang all your hope. I totally get it. Please let me know, so we can work on getting you the baytril ASAP.

Edit: the green spots in her poop is bile from no food. Hopefully you have received your supplies. You will want to buy Kaytee Exact baby bird for from the store, but only give food until after you have hydrated her. I'm not sure about other people but I push water for 24 hours, the gradually add in the food. Depending on how big your hen is, determines how much water you give. My white rockI could easily get 60+mLs in her crop, my Welsummer 60 is pushing it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom